Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Yeah, 2 1/2 mos seems really early to me. I've had a couple of pullets that didn't show the copper til about that mark though..and also had a couple that had mossyness and cock's with more in the breast but it did molt out. This is my first time having them though, with all of the reading I've done I do plan to wait out the males til about 18 mos just because I've read sooo many folks opinions/experience has proven to benefit them for waiting. Not to mention though I can't imagine getting much meat off a 2-3 mos old... JMO

I have my 3rd batch of BCM's coming! They were set yesterday, getting from Pawheadpoultry. I had seen a recommendation to someone else on these threads, I'll be interested to see how they grow out! Since my first 2 are Cottage Hill lineage I couldn't help but get more.

I wish I had the money to feed and space to house all these birds until they are bigger, but I do not. I'm starting to go through nearly a bag of chick starter a day---and at nearly $30 a bag organic feed, will go broke in short order. So I choose to butcher early, no they are not very meaty but still tasty and our freezers are still full from last year's birds! I've got other breeds I'm working on as well, so that makes it harder plus hurt my back again yesterday---it wasn't completely healed from a few weeks ago--maybe the pain is clouding my judgment, I don't know, but there are birds that need to go!

I wish I had the money to feed and space to house all these birds until they are bigger, but I do not. I'm starting to go through nearly a bag of chick starter a day---and at nearly $30 a bag organic feed, will go broke in short order. So I choose to butcher early, no they are not very meaty but still tasty and our freezers are still full from last year's birds! I've got other breeds I'm working on as well, so that makes it harder plus hurt my back again yesterday---it wasn't completely healed from a few weeks ago--maybe the pain is clouding my judgment, I don't know, but there are birds that need to go!
O..yeah...to each is own I completely understand! I'm very small scale and I'm not that concerned on feed...mine free range all day and I just feed layer feed/chick starter feeds at Oh...maybe $11-14 a bag. I have also been spreading out my chicks in brooders...most I've had at one time on chick starter is 19. I do less than 20 at a time because they are little hogs on feed!! Plus I have 4 boys at home and a full time job...gardens (OMG ha) that there's no way I could keep up on good care to more than that at a time!! I'm just not that organized!!
Sorry to hear about the back issue too! It really is bad when dealing with chicks .. the bending over..etc! I have carpel tunnel really bad in both wrists but my left is the worse. Most things I have to attempt it multiple times before I can complete a task..sigh.. A freezer full of small individual chickens for roasting is very tempting though!

Anyone have any ideas of what colors he could be crossed from? Obviously something blue but hackles and saddles are a silver/goldish not orange and he has some barring going on in them and has silver wing tips?? He has very nice feathered legs too. Definitely all marans just a mix of a couple of colors I am guessing.

Too much red in the breast indicates Wheaten influence, is that correct? I just went through all my youngsters that are big enough to see what is going on and pulled about 12 of the males that are like that, the oldest are about 2-1/2 months now and already can see that. Butcher/processing day tomorrow! I also see quite a few pullets that don't show any copper at this age, would they be showing some by now if they are going to get it? I'd like to sell off the overmelanized pullets earlier than I did last year, if that is the case. I just wonder how many generations it will take to get rid of the extra breast color, I already culled heavily for that last year.

Marcy I have some pullets that are so dark even their combs and beaks were black. Early Dec hatch; however, some of these are starting to get a small amount of copper on the neck now and their wattles and combs are beginning to pink up. So you might give the girls a little bit longer and see what they do. However, I'm with you, those boys that are going to be way overcolored seem to get that right away and are easy to pick out early. I have at least 3 of them that are flaming orange. They will go to freezer camp as soon as I have time. You are right, good feed is too expensive to waste on birds you know won't make the grade so might as well eat them early. I've been surprised on some of my other breeds; they didn't look that big at 4 months but still dressed out at 2 1/2 pounds. And I don't mind little guys the size of cornish game hens ;=)

Back
Top Bottom