Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

This is just my opinion, but I would not use this roo for breeding.

I'm not a long-time Marans breeder; however I have many years experience breeding other breeds/species.  A side sprig is a disqualification and therefore an undesireable trait.  Side sprigs are the result of two dominant genes that must both be present in order to show up in the offspring. Carriers can go undetected for a long time until the "right" pairing is made.  A bird with side sprigs will likely produce 50% or more side sprigs when crossed back to either parent.

It is very tempting to breed a bird with such a fault if otherwise they have excellent type and/or color, but using such an bird in your breeding program will only fix this trait in your flock.  As gilavina says, you can use this roo to test mate in order to find other carriers, but that is a decision you will have to weigh against the time, energy, and expense to rear up chicks that you will possibly end up culling anyway.  If you know or own the hen and cock who produced this brood, you can know that both are carriers of this trait. 

I wouldn't repeat that mating for sure.

Is this a reply to my photos in the post just before yours? I'm not sure where the side sprig is that your talking about.

Is this a reply to my photos in the post just before yours? I'm not sure where the side sprig is that your talking about.

I think maybe it was about my Black Tailed Buff i just posted... , i'm looking for a replacement teenage roo...

On your blue Roo. I think he is just a very light blue. I have a pullet that is very light blue that looks similar but she is a blue, she also has the dark lacing that you see on him as well.

I'm up to 4, 7, 6 and 5 blue copper chicks respectively from the 4 blue copper hens I've been mating this year to a black copper male. My goal is/was 10 blue chicks from each hen to grow out and see how they turn out. Last year, I didn't get even one blue copper male I felt I could keep for breeding. Maybe this year. I do not think I will make it to 10 chicks from each since ~1/2 come out black and some of the bigger eggs are not hatching. I hope I get a few good ones because this hobby/obsession is really expensive.

I just read all 409 posts. I'm exhausted. I have a much better idea of what a BC Maran should look like. Now, I just need to find out what breed club to join. I think I joined Marans of America but I am not sure. I think I paid for the dues, but didn't fill in a membership form, just a billing form.

Hi, do you mean a 7 on the eggs shell color scale?
If so, I am so happy. My pullet Marans are supposed to lay 7's and that is so dark! Can't wait now!
Yes, on the marans egg color chart. I have sisters to this pullet whose egg color I'm disappointed in, but the egg on the right is also a sister, but this is the FIRST egg like that I've gotten from that pen. They are both in different pens. You just never know what you'll get.

I just read all 409 posts. I'm exhausted. I have a much better idea of what a BC Maran should look like. Now, I just need to find out what breed club to join. I think I joined Marans of America but I am not sure. I think I paid for the dues, but didn't fill in a membership form, just a billing form.
Did you pay through paypal?

Yes, on the marans egg color chart. I have sisters to this pullet whose egg color I'm disappointed in, but the egg on the right is also a sister, but this is the FIRST egg like that I've gotten from that pen. They are both in different pens. You just never know what you'll get.

Cool. Well I do hope they lay dark eggs. I did pay $80 for two 12 week old pullets.

ok I have two bcm I was told they were girls but one in front of pic crows lol question girl or boy. I'm frustrated cause I can't get an answer

Back
Top Bottom