Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

You can get shades of purple, pink, mauve on Marans eggs, but they're not common. If you run them under water, the dark brown shows through. Here is a mauve/purple one dry:

Here's a close-up of that same egg drying off after I ran it under the water:

You can get shades of purple, pink, mauve on Marans eggs, but they're not common. If you run them under water, the dark brown shows through. Here is a mauve/purple one dry:

Love that green one you have there, I have two SBELS in my BCM pen, i was wondering if they would make dark green or light green eggs if i hatched them, or does the green shade depend on how light the blue is? these are fairly light blue..

lobster, I wondered that same thing last year - I had a trio of Isbars, lovely birds, but I ended up selling them because they just didn't "do it" for me for some reason. Anyway, I would think that they would definitely give you darker green eggs, assuming the offspring received the blue egg genetic. But, my thoughts are that it wouldn't be quite as dark of an olive shade as the one pictured above. At least the F1s would not be, but the F2 might be. I bet they'd be gorgeous!

the first marans egg i ever got from my two cuckoos (back in january) was speckled with a sort of purple:

I wish i had kept it!

pretty egg!!!
love.gif

lobster, I wondered that same thing last year - I had a trio of Isbars, lovely birds, but I ended up selling them because they just didn't "do it" for me for some reason. Anyway, I would think that they would definitely give you darker green eggs, assuming the offspring received the blue egg genetic. But, my thoughts are that it wouldn't be quite as dark of an olive shade as the one pictured above. At least the F1s would not be, but the F2 might be. I bet they'd be gorgeous!

i have two pullets that are blue marans x isbar growing out, they are probably about 20 weeks old or so -- can't wait to see what their eggs look like! i'll report back once they get started...

how cool... i just set aside todays eggs to hatch them (any excuse works
big_smile.png
) i'm getting almost 1 egg per day from them so i'll pop them in there when i have a few more... can't wait (err.. about 6 months i guess LOL!!)

My 26 week old BCMs have just begun laying. The eggs are small and very dark. However, one hen has been "laying" from her roost, which is about three feet off the floor of the coop. She has laid three perfect, very dark eggs. Then, today, I found a small, thin-shelled egg that was the color of Crayola's "flesh" crayon. Thoughts?

Pullets sometimes lay funny eggs when they are just starting out. I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening. You might try putting her in the nest box around the time you expect her to lay to try to get her to not lay from the roost.

Back
Top Bottom