Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I'm very interested in this breed, especially for the eggs. I have a couple of questions (and please excuse my chicken ignorance):

1) What is the average eggs/week people are getting from their birds? And if you could also delineate 1st year v. 2nd year v. onward, that would be great.

2) Are Marans a noisy breed? (Just talking about hens here)

3) About what age do Marans roos start to crow? And what do they weigh at that point? (Cockerels will be in the Soup Coop, but it they crow they go.)

4) How thrifty are they on feed?

Thank you for your input!

1) I don't know about other people's Marans, but mine take a lot of breaks. They will lay pretty steady for a while (maybe 5 or so eggs a week), and then take a break.

2) Mine are calm and quiet.

3) Marans cockerals start crowing about the same as dual purpose breeds. I'll start hearing baby crowing I guess as early as 3 months? I don't really pay THAT much attention, I have roosters and cockerals of many ages and I hear crowing all day and all night. I don't know what they weigh at that point, but they're reasonably meaty. More meaty than dual purpose of the same age.

4) Not particularly thrifty. The hens are pretty good sized, meaning they eat more than smaller production breeds just for body maintenance. And they aren't super good layers. As for meat, maybe a little more efficient than dual purpose, but they certainly don't stack up against broiler breeds.

I know a lot of you ship eggs, and I have a few questions. I shipped eggs years and years ago on a regular basis but a lot has changed. Now I want to start shipping eggs again.

I know I need to ship priority mail, but should I use flat rate boxes, or go by weight? Which priority boxes should I order from USPS?

I know a lot of you ship eggs, and I have a few questions. I shipped eggs years and years ago on a regular basis but a lot has changed. Now I want to start shipping eggs again.

I know I need to ship priority mail, but should I use flat rate boxes, or go by weight? Which priority boxes should I order from USPS?

I use the large priority mail boxes... 12 x 12 x 8 shipping varies with distance and number of eggs from about $8.00 to $21.00

I use the large priority mail boxes... 12 x 12 x 8 shipping varies with distance and number of eggs from about $8.00 to $21.00
I use priority B boxes
you can also double box by putting A boxes in the b boxes with bubble around.
I use 3x7 bubble wrap pouches around each egg.
If i single box I use large bubble , top bottom and sides.
I ship a lot and have only ever had 1 broken egg so far.
Box looked drop kicked.

I love shipping early Saturday best. boxes are everywhere by Monday.
Followed by Monday and then Tuesday

Last edited:
FLAT Rates are only good occasional. I rarely use them. Usually cheaper to order box #7 and pay by the weight.

Despite what you read regional rate boxes are TOO EXPENSIVE to use. I have never seen a time the rate was cheaper with regional rate. If you have a smart phone you can get the USPS app and that will help you pick the right box. Weigh it and check rates by your zip and the zip you are shipping too. It will give you prices for dropping off at the post office or printing postage on line and prices for each option like Express, flat rates, regional boxes, and reg boxes.

FLAT Rates are only good occasional. I rarely use them. Usually cheaper to order box #7 and pay by the weight.

Despite what you read regional rate boxes are TOO EXPENSIVE to use. I have never seen a time the rate was cheaper with regional rate. If you have a smart phone you can get the USPS app and that will help you pick the right box. Weigh it and check rates by your zip and the zip you are shipping too. It will give you prices for dropping off at the post office or printing postage on line and prices for each option like Express, flat rates, regional boxes, and reg boxes.
I can ship 16 eggs from California to New York for 16.00 or 17.00 if its double boxed in a Priority B box.
West coast is more like 8 to 11

I am trying to decide which of my bcm chicks to keep...
Can someone please tell me if white feathers on the wings are normal, desireable, and if so how much white should there/can there be?

Quote: I can too in a flat rate box. I usually ship more eggs than that and they don't fit in the boxes and it just never has worked for me. EVER. I ordered the boxes cuz everyone told me they were cheaper but really just reg priority mail based on weight is best 99% of the time. Other time flat rate works better.

Back
Top Bottom