Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hi I have a chick that came from a BCM hen but the roo could have been a BCM, EE or OE. Let me know what you think...

I'll make a wild guess it was the OE.

The yellow feet rules out the Marans (assuming he's pure bred and doesn't carry the gene for yellow legs).

If it was the EE, it should have a beard, and the legs and feet would probably be completely dark, instead of having yellow feet.

That leaves the OE.

But it could be any of them, depending on their genetic makeup.

I'll make a wild guess it was the OE.

The yellow feet rules out the Marans (assuming he's pure bred and doesn't carry the gene for yellow legs).

If it was the EE, it should have a beard, and the legs and feet would probably be completely dark, instead of having yellow feet.

That leaves the OE.

But it could be any of them, depending on their genetic makeup.
The tips of the longest toe is lighter but I almost want to say the legs are dark green??

Hi I have a chick that came from a BCM hen but the roo could have been a BCM, EE or OE. Let me know what you think...

WHO KNOWS?? My guess would be either EE or Olive Egger but even a Marans can produce yellow legs.... it is recessive. Not all EE have beards and muffs..... even Olive Eggers can have beards and muffs. You will just have to wait and see what color egg you get.

WHO KNOWS?? My guess would be either EE or Olive Egger but even a Marans can produce yellow legs.... it is recessive.  Not all EE have beards and muffs..... even Olive Eggers can have beards and muffs.  You will just have to wait and see what color egg you get.
I hope she's a Pullet, she was the first one to get her wing feathers in. Is fast feathering indicative of a Pullet In Marans?

No fast tethering is genetic and can be either a cockerel or pullet.....same with slow feathering. I have had some pullets with slow feathering too so nothing is absolute.

When I was breeding large numbers of BC Marans I never hatched a wheaten from BC Marans. MY BC were predominately Wade Jeanne Marans . I single mate and toe punch all chicks hatched on my place.

It depends on the line of BC anyone is working with. The way the Marans have been crossed up you might get any combination of colors.

Shawn, Where did your Black Marans come from, I am more interested in Type than egg color. Do you have any pictures of your adult Black Marans mainly Males. I have tried for years to get some Black that were Black. Don
[/quote

Don. I have some Solid Blacks growing out ( again). The egg color was well within Marans range.chicks have been growing well not seeding color yet. They just went out to the growout pen.

Hi All,

Work has been keeping me insanely busy so I haven't had time to check in here much lately, but since I had a day off today, I thought I'd post some current pics of my mystery chipmunk chicks! They are 8 weeks old now, and it looks like I've got 2 pullets and a little roo.
To refresh your memory, these 3 babies hatched from eggs that I got from a local breeder, who swears that there were no "accidents" and that they are pure. The eggs they came out of were about a 6 on the scale, so pretty dark.

This is the first pullet:

And the 2nd pullet...

....and the little roo:

So....early on, a couple of people suggested that they might be Golden Salmons, but in the meantime, the girls look like they are turning blue! I don't have enough experience with Marans to know what they are supposed to look like in their different stages of development. Any insights?

Thanks,
Katja

Back
Top Bottom