Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Let me try and help a little. You can get Black Copper looking Marans from the Blue Copper matings and they are fine to use in the Blue Copper matings. DO NOT use these in a Black Copper Mating as it will contaminate your Black Copper yard. In the breeding of the Black Copper pens you will only want to breed Black Copper to Black Copper. If you do otherwise it will mess up the soft lower body feathers to a off color. If anyone plans on breeding the Black Copper in the future copy this info and save yourself a lot of time and Money. Some will say it is ok but take my word that it is not. Don

Would like to say also. When someone refers to BBS, that is Black and Blue and splash. Does not include Black Copper or Blue Copper. Don
Yes Don, thanks for the clarification. I apparently did not include enough detail in my post.

For expediency, I often type "BBS copper." Would you say this is correct?

We have used BCM in our blue copper breeding program to improve many of the things that can be difficult with the blue coppers: type, egg color, amount and shade of coppering and good blue body color/lacing. We are have good results with this, but would never sell any black birds as BCM. At this time we're using a splash copper cock on the BCM hens, so no possibilities of anything but blue.

Quote:
It is probably easier to type it that way , but I believe some of the newer Marans people might take it the wrong way.

One thing on using the Splash male over BC females sometimes you will get other colors. I like the Splash male way of making this breeding. With Marans they are so scatter bred that sometimes they will not breed according to the Genetic Formulas. Now the BBS will breed to the Genetic Formulas. With the BC males from the Cross it is best to cull them for Dinner. I cull mine as chicks as I do not want them around. Don

Quote:
It is probably easier to type it that way , but I believe some of the newer Marans people might take it the wrong way.

One thing on using the Splash male over BC females sometimes you will get other colors. I like the Splash male way of making this breeding. With Marans they are so scatter bred that sometimes they will not breed according to the Genetic Formulas. Now the BBS will breed to the Genetic Formulas. With the BC males from the Cross it is best to cull them for Dinner. I cull mine as chicks as I do not want them around. Don
What do you mean you will get other colors? Black over splash with or without copper will produce 100% blue chicks.

What possible other colors would there be? I've never heard this, and have only hatched blue copper chicks with this cross.

Quote:

What do you mean you will get other colors? Black over splash with or without copper will produce 100% blue chicks.

What was said is Splash Male over BC female.

Will defer to Donna since she has much more experience with poultry than myself.

It is that kindness you have that has just about killed this thread.
As someone watching from the outside, I just wanted to let you both know that you are 2 of my favorite posters. You are both brutally honest, and ruffle the feathers of people new to the breed, but I have learned more from you two than anyone else on here. Don may not be silver tongued, but DM told me to eat my birds, too.
Carry on
thumbsup.gif

As someone watching from the outside, I just wanted to let you both know that you are 2 of my favorite posters. You are both brutally honest, and ruffle the feathers of people new to the breed, but I have learned more from you two than anyone else on here. Don may not be silver tongued, but DM told me to eat my birds, too.
Carry on
thumbsup.gif
I double checked, because that is not something I would say. I know how it is to hit over the head with your birds. I told you what I WOULD DO. I would have culled them and started over, I would not have eaten them but I would have sent them off with the roo guy to be eaten. I don't have time to process chickens.

I like to share what I have learned. Since I have been on BYC there seem to be a group of people that have a wealth of knowledge, but it is a secret and only to be shared wit a select few. They will post comments and never come back and explain so others can learn.... then you PM them only to never hear back. BYC is a friendly place or it should be. I have left several threads for the back biting and snipping. I can find better places to play with lots of other chicken people.

They are just CHICKENS! When they are not fun you need to get out of chickens.

I have tried to stay on the fringe of this thread, I don't post as much as I could. Most questions can be answered with some research.... like I did. BUT as this thread lost one after another long time helpers I did try to help here and there. BUT there is always someone on every thread.......

I double checked, because that is not something I would say. I know how it is to hit over the head with your birds. I told you what I WOULD DO. I would have culled them and started over, I would not have eaten them but I would have sent them off with the roo guy to be eaten. I don't have time to process chickens.

I like to share what I have learned. Since I have been on BYC there seem to be a group of people that have a wealth of knowledge, but it is a secret and only to be shared wit a select few. They will post comments and never come back and explain so others can learn.... then you PM them only to never hear back. BYC is a friendly place or it should be. I have left several threads for the back biting and snipping. I can find better places to play with lots of other chicken people.

They are just CHICKENS! When they are not fun you need to get out of chickens.

I have tried to stay on the fringe of this thread, I don't post as much as I could. Most questions can be answered with some research.... like I did. BUT as this thread lost one after another long time helpers I did try to help here and there. BUT there is always someone on every thread.......
It was hard to hear, but I appreciated the comment and it made me search for better birds. I also didn't realize that this was the "Marans" thread, not the "BCM" thread. That one is a little more harsh, but it is also a stronger discussion of SOP. I have only been on BYC for a few months, and I have learned to stay in the lighter threads if I just want to talk chickens, but these pointed discussions between serious breeders teach some of us that are lurking more than you guys know

Back
Top Bottom