Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I'm in Florida. We are about done building our flock so it will be a few years before we do now, but when we replace our girls after they stop laying, I will go to a private farm and order 5 pullets and hopefully wind up with one hen! Lol We are about maxed out on room for now as you can't have just one chick by itself so my flock is already 3 birds more than is ideal. If I can convince hubby to build another coop we will start with the multiple Marans first! :) do you breed them or know a good place I can get them from? I am wondering if I could get multiple color pullets to satisfy the 5 minimum.

Quote:
Luanne D'Amico, eight acres farm is somewhere in Florida. She would be a good contact to get Marans from, she raises many breeds. Also, Mathace on here (almost never any more though) is in Florida and breeds BCM as well. Heck, I think Bev Davis is in Florida, a huge breeder of Marans and the originator of the Davis line, but I do not know how much/if she sells to the public. When you are ready, make a post on here and someone ought to be able to direct you. If you know for example you will be ready next Spring, get on a wait list now.

Quote:
Luanne D'Amico, eight acres farm is somewhere in Florida. She would be a good contact to get Marans from, she raises many breeds. Also, Mathace on here (almost never any more though) is in Florida and breeds BCM as well. Heck, I think Bev Davis is in Florida, a huge breeder of Marans and the originator of the Davis line, but I do not know how much/if she sells to the public. When you are ready, make a post on here and someone ought to be able to direct you. If you know for example you will be ready next Spring, get on a wait list now.

Quote:

My Copper Marans, which are the oldest (2yrs) of my flock, have killed two of the four new chicks I have brought into the coop this Spring. I have year old, Ameracaunas, an Orpington and a couple of bantys. Also a Banty Rooster. My new girls were Brahma bantys and after the one was pecked to death, I brought in two 6week old Orpington chicks to keep the Barahma company, I came out to find one of the Orpingtons pecked to death, in the inner yard, which was only accessed by two broody Marans from the coop. I feel awful and don't know whether I should let the 2 month old chicks roam in the big yard with the flock or what. PleaseHelp. Im ready to get rid of the Marans, as they seem like bullys.

My Copper Marans, which are the oldest (2yrs) of my flock, have killed two of the four new chicks I have brought into the coop this Spring. I have year old, Ameracaunas, an Orpington and a couple of bantys. Also a Banty Rooster. My new girls were Brahma bantys and after the one was pecked to death, I brought in two 6week old Orpington chicks to keep the Barahma company, I came out to find one of the Orpingtons pecked to death, in the inner yard, which was only accessed by two broody Marans from the coop. I feel awful and don't know whether I should let the 2 month old chicks roam in the big yard with the flock or what. PleaseHelp. Im ready to get rid of the Marans, as they seem like bullys.

The problem is not the breed, but trying to integrate birds of such widely different age groups. Also, if your Marans are broody, they may see the new birds as threats. I would advise not to put young 2 month old chicks in with older birds regardless of breed as you are looking for trouble. You might try setting up a somewhat temporary pen within a pen, or a smaller pen in your big yard to put the younger ones in. Such that the older ones can see them and get used to their presence but can't get at them to hurt them. Make an entrance that the little ones can fit through but the bigger ones cannot, so after some time has passed (can't tell you how much time is needed but thinking weeks here) and you think you want to try integrating them, the young ones can seek safety from the older ones. This may or may not work but you could try. I just don't put younger birds in with older ones period until they are old and big enough to fend for themselves. I don't keep bantams, but I would think they should be kept separate. Some people are able to keep birds of all sizes together if there is a lot of space and a lot of stuff in the yard where they can hide, jump up high on, or in some way escape bullies. Then too, sometimes there is a bird that just picks on all the rest.

They have been in a translucent box inside the coop with the others. I have slowly introduced these chicks, as I did last year with other bantys, Orpingtons, Ameracauna chicks. I've never had any Chickocide before. Very distressing.

They have been in a translucent box inside the coop with the others. I have slowly introduced these chicks, as I did last year with other bantys, Orpingtons, Ameracauna chicks. I've never had any Chickocide before. Very distressing.

Yes, I'm sure it is
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom