Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I'm pretty sure Don was referring to the BCM cock/erel regarding the white feathers.  He has lots in his tail in this photo when you look closer.

Yeah, I understood later what the reference was. That roo actually won't be part of my breeding, the hens actually prefer another man. But I'm not necessarily going for SOP, if it happens cool, I just love these birds. Mine are much more vulture-esque in their motion than my other breeds.

If he has any marans in him then being bred to an easter egger would make olive eggs right? Or if he's pure easter egger and I bred him to a pure marans would that make olive eggs?
It's not that simple. Check out the Olive Egger page here or on facebook for a great chart by Steve Neumann...NOT the simplified cartoon egg ones though.

This is one of my 6 month old BCM Roosters now that is a comb
celebrate.gif
Want to edit that? BCM is Black Copper Marans. Marans should not have white earlobes.

Quote:
Well his brothers and sisters and momma and papa are Black copper Marans now he is white from the shoulders to tail with the head to shoulders being blond ...

Here he is only a few weeks old ,, ya big belly I had to feed him egg's to get him to stand still .....

This is the lot of the chicks the day I picked them up from the lady who hatched them out, the EE chicken in the back ground was to be their step mother as she just enjoyed raising little one's ..

So yes my Blond Copper Marans Rooster is from a family of Black Copper Marans now the lady who I got them from say's this happens to her about once a year and no I did not see any white roo's in her yard .....

I do think you for catching that
smile.png

Oh the white stuff on his ear is the camera ......

Last edited:
Well his brothers and sisters and momma and papa are Black copper Marans now he is white from the shoulders to tail with the head to shoulders being blond ...

Here he is only a few weeks old ,, ya big belly I had to feed him egg's to get him to stand still .....

This is the lot of the chicks the day I picked them up from the lady who hatched them out, the EE chicken in the back ground was to be their step mother as she just enjoyed raising little one's ..

So yes my Blond Copper Marans Rooster is from a family of Black Copper Marans now the lady who I got them from say's this happens to her about once a year and no I did not see any white roo's in her yard .....

I do think you for catching that
smile.png

Oh the white stuff on his ear is the camera ......
This would be recessive white then. I had this pop up when I started with BCM and it is NOT something you want in your black coppers. I spent a year weeding it out of my flock. Of course I knew the cockbird carried the recessive white gene, but figuring out which hens carried it was a nightmare. When I put the hens into individual cages they stopped laying. Eventually I went to the food coloring in the vent method. Then hatched out those eggs in groups by individual hens. Any that had white chicks were culled from the breeding program. I had some growing pullets at the time, and had to grow them out and then breed them back to the carrier cock to cull any daughters that were carriers. What a mess! The problem is that you don't know who is a carrier until it pops up in your chicks. Being recessive, it has to be in both parent birds to show, so the sire of this recessive white BCM is definitely a carrier.

Thank you for the information now I know I have a long road ahead for clearing up this problem and might as well put my white BCM Roo in with the EE hens as he is a rather calm Roo and the normal BCM is a bit more jittery around humans .... Ihilain Coffee do you think I should just get some new BCM hens from a different line ...
That's an individual choice. It's a huge (and often expensive) learning curve with this breed. The person I got my original hens from did not know she had recessive white in her flock, and discovered it after I started having white chicks show up here. She did the same, taking the time and significant hassle to weed it out. I wanted darker eggs as well, and ended up just starting all over. Statistically it is likely that half or more of your BCM carry recessive white if they are from the same parentage as the recessive white male. If the birds and egg color are otherwise exceptional (and so few are IMO), it might be worth it to take the time and all the test breeding to weed it out.

Back
Top Bottom