Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

OK everyone. I had to replace my nasty roo and this is one i picked from what i could find. I know he's very dark but he doesn't have the extra points on his comb and he has the nice dark hackles. Most of them were very light colored with halos. These pictures aren't great due to lighting but it's the best i could do with my tablet. He's roughly 6 months old so he has so filling out to do. Bring on the critiques.

OK everyone. I had to replace my nasty roo and this is one i picked from what i could find. I know he's very dark but he doesn't have the extra points on his comb and he has the nice dark hackles. Most of them were very light colored with halos. These pictures aren't great due to lighting but it's the best i could do with my tablet. He's roughly 6 months old so he has so filling out to do. Bring on the critiques.

From what I can see the type looks real good on this male. He will get more color as he ages, I like using the Mahogany colored males in the breed pen.

Maranman93, As I read some of your posts , I believe you are using the MOA readings for the standard. The MCCusa is the only SOP that is recognized by the APA. What the MOA club says means nothing when it comes to the SOP.I suggest you read the real APA SOP.

Quote:
I agree on the breast color vice the leg color. I love his size and type so far and if it was just a few spots I'd be tempted but he is pracitally fully colored from beak to keel. The comb is not floppy just the base where it is thicker is not symmetrical with the thickness. I have Little Peddler and GFF 2015 this time. I started 5 years ago with Bev Davis from Greenfire when they were selling off her line. I bred the Legbars for a bit but feel I am best if I stick to one breed and love the BCM.
I culled out 4 this weekend and am keeping 6 to look at but realisically it's only 3 that I think will make it to 6 months or beyond.
I have one LP and one GFF male that I am crossing fingers on will have faults I can work with as they look to be turning out okay so far. I won't know what females I'll breed forward until next spring when these new pullets start laying. I intend to flush through and only keep the best of them based on type and egg color and then single mate. I'll only have 8. So far there are 2 of the current laying pullets and 1 older hen that I am feeling good about all around. By egg color 1 of them is out of the running for sure. I'll only keep what I'm willing to breed.
Greenfire has a direct import line of birchens availible this coming year the black coppers arent a new thing to them. I do not have the birchen so i dont know anything on them as far as health and there ups and downs. but if you are ordering there black copper marans line then they do have very good stock. the way your planning this sounds good as long as your other lines do well to compliment each other.

The Birdchen coming on line next are the Blues. The GFF BCM imports are only the 2015 line from my understanding and those only started selling this year not last. I could be mistaken but that's my understanding in dealing with them and other breeders who acquired the stock this year. Prior to that they were working within the same lines that are here in America. I am not positive what they used to restart their Black Copper line before the 2015 imporst but I believe it was an American bred stock. I know I got some of the last birds they had back in 2010 when they sold off the Bev Davis birds that she sold through them and then only had the Birchens for a bit. I also acquried some of those as packing peanuts with a Legbar shipment and was sorely tempted to hatch them but only grew them out for a bit and since they were a pair sold them off. Between those and my original Davis birds I wish I had kept what I had back then but such is life. I got distracted by the shiney new object.
this is from their website on the Black Copper flock.

Prior to 2015, four bloodlines of black copper Marans had been imported into the United States over a period of decades. In 2015, we imported a fifth, new bloodline to address some of the deficiencies often seen in the American flocks. For example, black copper Marans hens should have deep copper color in their hackles, but often American hens had none or very little. The hens we imported carry rich copper coloring in their neck feathers and produce very dark brown eggs."

I have my opinion, taste, breeding program and different breeding styles but still achieve the correct color pattern. I believe i have read both but tend to lean more towards one. If you want to get picky about it look at the french standard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom