Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Pics
I like the idea of posting pics. I think the visual works better then words for me. I only go by pics in the other breeds I raise.
Bev if you would be so kind and post a pic or three of your favorites babies, I am sure the rest of us will treat them pics like the Standard that we ALL want to make happen here in the USA.

Since we're posting pics of our birds, here's my cockerel from this years chicks:

26987_mack4mo.jpg

26987_mack4mo2.jpg

I had two, but lost one to a predator, so I guess I don't really have much choice left! I think he's OK, though. I like his coloring. His breast has only a few flecks of red, and his hackles are more copper than gold.

His tail is a bit droopy, but I'm hoping it will fill in more as he grows - he's only five months old right now. And at least it's not a squirrel tail!

Comments welcome!

ETA: What do you think about his comb? I count six points, but one is rather small...

Last edited:
Hathor: I really like the color of the first pullet.
thumbsup.gif
She is a great looking example of the "goal"... As far as the roosters go... Too young yet to tell what there is going to be yet. There seems to be less red in the hackle of the females than what is desired... But you said it... "delicous and pretty eggies". Keep in mind with the late male that you run the risk of having late maturing offspring with one that doesn't color out quickly... You will have to decide for yourself if that is a bother or not.... Thanks for posting all the great pix!!!

Drom
You out there.. Can you post that thing that was on your link about the mahogany etc...

He posted an explaination of the copper/mahogany thing on the new thread he created. You might find it very useful.

Quote:
wow, that surprises me but i guess that is a possibility. i know the breeder who hatched these and her fcbms are in a closed flock and no penes on site, and she supposedly got hers from a jeane-line breeder in missouri, but who knows? thanks for pointing that out. now you've got me wanting to look at the pics of their parent stock (i took plenty while deciding whether to buy these birds) and see if i can see the same thing. though those pics weren't as close up!

mostly i bought these birds because they were local to me and i saw the eggs that they hatched from and the next batch that was incubating...6-7s in color are so hard to resist when the chicks are $5 each and you have a broody at home! one of the two roosters in the flock was really quite nice, too, so i know there's a chance to get something similar.

Last edited:
Hathor That is not surprising as early on I surmise ppl were crossing them... At this point a lot of the pene blood has been diluted but still funny genetic things may crop up that tells on them. Like coming up with a partridge colored bird from two blacks.. that is a tell tale there!!! (had that happen). It may not be the breeder you got it from. He/She may believe what they were told as well... It could be many generations back.

What causes this in the chickens tail feathers? To separate like that.

This isnt my photo. It was taken off feathersite.com to show an example of what Im talking about.
7792_redmottledleghornm.jpg

Quote:
Hmmm Indeed!

Any one out there working on blues? I have 13 blues from byc's bishopchickens... We have or fav cockerel roo who crowed and had red wattles and comb at 6 or 7 weeks. Only one feather of red/gold leaking on the neck, too many points on the comb , to big of feathers on the feet.) BUT otherwise looks good with good personality! I will post pics. Out of the 13 I have two pullets that to my new to the breed eyes think look true to blue, and not bad at all to the Marans standard.

So... Anyone want to post their "pride and joy" blues?

Me... Egg color will be my #1 in my breeding program, with productivity being second, and personality third, and the standard 4th....
hide.gif

-----
Just for chit chat... I thought I would share the Blue Ameraucana cockerels that I put into the Marans cockerel pen "put down" the Marans right quick. However the Marans and Ameraucana cockerels out on free range work as a "team".

Interesting breed indeed. I am enjoying them so far!
ON

Havi:, barring no health/parasite issue.....possibly cages/fences or just getting tired and in need of a molt. Most likely the latter.

Last edited:
Quote:
So it goes away? When they grow back in, they arent the same way?

Im not sure on the health or etc. as Ive never had any with tail feathers like that. Thankfully! Ive seen them in lots of peoples photos when posting their birds. I was just wondering.

Last edited:
I do raise Ameraucanas in addition to other breeds. I find alot similarities between the two breeds. Both breeds have some folks doing egg color as a priority some are into the conformation. I personally think you need to definitely have a nice large bird to show, and egg color is the next priority. To me it is hard to use a smaller male just cause he came from a darker egg.
NOW IF the APA never accepts us, then egg color is the only priority then health and vigor. Forget about nice tails, correct color, feather traits etc.

Back
Top Bottom