Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Your rooster and hen carry wheaton.
smile.png

your black copper hatched will also carry wheaton.

Last edited:
are boath roo mateing the girls or just one ?.., you have some recessive colors hideing their it happens with bc but you might test breed each hen to roo or something , the chicks might hatch out light white color but would not grow to be anything close to a wheaten for many generations , wheaten gets imbeded in so deep becaues its the most recessive from what i understand and on a side note , it makes no differance wether feather leg is involved

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:

Well considering that everything I've read says that feathered legs is dominant, and I know the clean legged hen is laying, I'd say it's mostly the clean-legged rooster doing the job. But I've had a BCM chick hatch with feathered legs and one of today's (yesterday's) wheatens is also feather legged.

Uh..oh ya... that hen is certainly carrying at least wheaton....Notice how dark her shank and eyes are...(class is in session)...that is the dark melaniser at work.. so we ask ourselves if there is so much melaniser why is there orange in the breast??? hmmmm It should be covered shouldn't it??? Well I believe this is a presentation of another gene (partridge or wheaton) at work... Notice the color of the hackle..it isn't mahogany as you would expect with an overmelanised hen... Interesting... Look at the rooster.... He also is dark in the eye and yet with an even color across his back he still has the yellowing in the hackle... These are possible markers that I have noticed over time with birds carrying a fouling gene...The good news is the eggs are likely to be dark... Fine for a chocolate egger flock!!!

Debbi,
They call and I go pick up the chicks right away at 6 in the morning as soon as they get them...
smile.png

We are over 1/2 mile from the mail box and she still delivers packages to the house that do not fit the box...

We treat her right... Give her eggs, garden goodies, did some soil tests for her:)...

ON

can I see pictures of the chicks.... There aren't any "wildtype" are there??? That hen looks "wildtype" to me.. The pattern going down the chest... Got baby pics?

Quote:
Gosh Geebs, I would much rather have what you have..............LOL. My painted eggs are much easier for me to come by, but maybe someday I will be lucky enough to have a haul like you.....

yes pti-1 shank feathering gene is dominat
and feather shank inhiboter gene is recessive
and i think i hear there is rumor of a forth factor involved i had in a email i cant find to explane what i am talking about

Quote:

Well considering that everything I've read says that feathered legs is dominant, and I know the clean legged hen is laying, I'd say it's mostly the clean-legged rooster doing the job. But I've had a BCM chick hatch with feathered legs and one of today's (yesterday's) wheatens is also feather legged.

Back
Top Bottom