Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
The lighter one is a Barred Rock cockerel.

The good news is that the darker one is a pullet.

I agree with Nivtup that they are Barred Rocks and that the lighter one is a cockerel and the darker one is a pullet. They are too cute! Sorry they are not what you were expecting. Marans should not have yellow legs as mentioned previously and Cuckoo Marans will also have messier barring on the feathers vs. a nice tidy barring like these babies have. I had Barred Rocks for 3 years and I enjoyed them very much (with the exception of the head girl who could be quite the mean girl) I made several cool crossed birds with them. I hope you enjoy them too!
smile.png

I have three Black Copper Marans Hens and a Black Copper Marans Rooster and I'd love to get some feedback on their quality. Honesty will not hurt my feelings as I am simply curious as to their "quality" in order to begin learning about this breed.

All are approximately 6-7 months old.

Thanks so much!

Shadow the Rooster
74668_img_1061.jpg

74668_img_1183.jpg

74668_img_1158.jpg

Hens (two are almost solid black - one has quite a bit of copper on her neck)
74668_img_1174.jpg

74668_img_1173.jpg

74668_img_1172.jpg

Quote:
What JUMPS out at me is that your roo is MISSING the color in his saddle feathers. As coppery as he is in the neck ( Hackle feathers), he should be that coppery on the rump (saddle feathers). . . .

Last edited:
Quote:
1st - - HOW do you GET 500 eggs?

2nd - - WHERE do you put them all once they hatch ?

3rd - - WERE they mostly BCM ?

yuckyuck.gif
I was sitting here asking myself those very same questions!!
gig.gif
ep.gif
Good luck Don!
bow.gif

KEARA
LOCKDOWN is TOMORROW - - - Keep your
fl.gif
FINGERS crossed
fl.gif
. I experimented with a micro hatch ( 5 of my own eggs) last time AND made some stupid mistakes AND it was a disaster.

I have returned to what worked for me in the past . . . . AND I am double checking my calendar . . . AND I am NOT shutting the vents (one of my previous STUPID mistakes) . . . . SO, I am hoping for the GOOD hatches that I have had in the past!

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Pinkchick,

I don't mind if he's a roo. I have one tiny OEGB Brassy Banty Roo and wouldn't mind another. My only concern is that they'd kill eachother. I'll have 40 or so gals for the two of them. What do you think? Will they get along or battle all day long? I've never had a roo before the little guy. I don't know what to expect. Advice on that one would be so appreciated!!

Thanks everyone for the input! He'll be great. I'm sure.

Quote:
The lighter one is a Barred Rock cockerel.

The good news is that the darker one is a pullet.

I agree with Nivtup that they are Barred Rocks and that the lighter one is a cockerel and the darker one is a pullet. They are too cute! Sorry they are not what you were expecting. Marans should not have yellow legs as mentioned previously and Cuckoo Marans will also have messier barring on the feathers vs. a nice tidy barring like these babies have. I had Barred Rocks for 3 years and I enjoyed them very much (with the exception of the head girl who could be quite the mean girl) I made several cool crossed birds with them. I hope you enjoy them too!
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png

ep.gif
Wow, 40 gals?? They'll both be too busy trying to cover them all to worry about each other!
gig.gif
Just make sure to introduce them slowly, preferably with a fence in between them for awhile. On my small place, I have 6 roos, and only 5 pullets. They all live together, except for the two younger roos that have been fenced off from the flock until they got bigger. They all free range together, and they all get along just fine. There will be a pecking order, and your young boy will be on the bottom until he comes into his own. I love my boys as much as my girls!

Back
Top Bottom