Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

here is my black copper pullet
P1080326.jpg

P1080325.jpg

P1080315.jpg

blue- non feathered legs
P1080322.jpg

P1080311.jpg

P1080302.jpg

splash cockerel- non feathered legs
P1080309.jpg

P1080307.jpg

P1080293.jpg

they were having fun running away from me

OOH, I just got some pics, too! This is Bonnie, Clydes the roo-that-won't-shut-up sister-wife
102350_10-09-11_1245.jpg
-girlfriend. Whew. She is standing a little funny, not used to the slippery glass.
102350_10-09-11_1247.jpg
102350_10-09-11_1246.jpg
102350_10-09-11_1244.jpg

I don't know those got all over the place, Stoopid!

Wow, the copper really got washed out in the sun on those shots. But she lays a nice egg. Too bad I suddenly have somebody that likes eggs. Last nite I got 4. Somebody is in big trouble. I found a shell in the nestbox. I usually get between 2-3 doz a day!
Caroline, are you going to Sussex Co Oct 22?

Last edited:
no just to syracuse on the 16th- i am showing a wellsummer pullet and didn't know if this black copper pullet was worth showing- and my daughter is showing about 9 japs.

i'm waiting for my young ones to start laying- got a small brown egg yesterday- but it could be a number of the other pullets who laid it- not a wellsummer or maran egg. im thinking its from the wyondotte.

Last edited:
What's the worst that can happen? You're already there, the entry fee isn't going to break you. And you never know how many others will be in her class....
I say do it! It's great experience for both of you. I notice a difference in all the birds I brought to the fair, they seem a little easier to handle, like they know what is going to happen next.

So....I was out doing chores earlier and collected up some surprises from my girls. I also have some more surprises that I have yet to collect that I'll show you later.
wink.png
wee.gif

The two eggs in front are the same from the photo I put up yesterday. You can see how it compares to my hens laying. They'd taken a break for a while, but seems they are back! Again...the photo is in full sun.

sorry for the dirty eggs...didn't clean them yet since I didn't want the color to get ruined if I got them wet
smile.png

77986_img_2320.jpg

Decided to get a photo inside with the flash on of the lovely eggs. It is pretty accurate to the color I see in person! These eggs are huge!

77986_img_2336.jpg

And this is for you Kim! This is Ella, another blue sweetheart! a blue calico to be more precise. I also love this kitty tons!
love.gif

77986_img_2323.jpg

Ok...off to see if I can collect some photos for Lynette and some photos of the other surprises I found today.
tongue.png
I turn into such a kid with animals!

Last edited:
hey Lynette, I haven't gotten pics yet today. I've been dodging the crappy weather all day. I was harvesting outside in the garden for the last hour or so while I had a bit of a break in the weather. I'll see if it stops raining again in a few and go grab some shots. otherwise I will try tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Harvested roughly 30 pounds of produce...eggplant, tomatoes, okra, all sorts of peppers, and jicama. I still have more to go, but its a huge dent in the last harvest of the season.

My mom is coming over and i'm gonna see if I can get some help with the other surprise I need to take some pics of. We'll see if I can get those up tonight yet.

I have been considering introducing some "new blood" into my Marans breeding program, however I am skeptical of the quality of stock that is offered by some breeders. My birds come mostly from Bev Davis' line of TRUE French Marans. I also have a few Wade Jeane C1 and C2 line Black Copper Marans.

I am concerned about the quality of my flock if I introduced new bloodlines. I want to be sure that I will be improving the genetics of my flock. I have found pullets and cockerels of the following Marans bloodlines.

Wade Jeane C1 and C2
Channing Grisham C1 and C2
Staffordshire
Fitch Ripley
Fugate

I know that the birds I have that are from Bev Davis' line are very well bred birds. The birds from Wade Jeane have had certain attributes, both good and 'undesirable' traits. We have eliminated the source of the bad genetics, however.

Also, which varieties of Marans lay the darkest egg? So far i notice that the Cuckoo and Black Copper Marans from Bev Davis' line lay VERY dark eggs.

As promised....here is the surprise I found earlier today.
wink.png
There are still more eggs under the pullet, but had to pull these because I have kitties that were being a little too curious about the peeping noises.
roll.png
They are pretty unsure about me at the moment since I just brought them to the garage and put them in a tiny brooder so they stay warm just a few minutes ago.

77986_img_2341.jpg

Back
Top Bottom