Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

You gals are just gonna have to start fixing your own cars. It's easy. Step 1.. It's broke. Step 2.. try to fix it. Step 3..either you fixed it, or it's still broke.
After a few times, you either learn how to do it, or you pay someone.
Feel free to PM me for help, I've been in the car biz a LONG time, over 30 years.

Quote:
haha that is so one thing I do wish I would have gotten into more when I was younger. I still think I'm young enough to start learning, but its annoying when it happens all at once and when I am least ready for it. A friend's husband volunteered to look at my muffler and see if he can fix it for me. He works on classic cars so I don't think it will be a problem for him. Wish I would have known you were in the car biz before last week when both of the berrings went out on my tires...that was scary...and expensive...blech!

Quote:
I am not so sure about the Sedalia show now myself. I've had several unexpected things come up and am having to pick and choose my priorities at the moment. The show I'm talking about that I will definitely be going to is the 127th Nebraska State Poultry Show here in Lincoln, NE. Its about 10 - 15 minutes from my house
wink.png
Can't get more lucky than that!

I so understand the problem with vehicles...I'm having quite a bit of troubles myself lately. Sure makes the budget reprioritize in a hurry.
th.gif

I was just gonna add that as I've been looking through the show catalog its looking like they have quite the prizes this year! Maybe, just maybe I might luck out and do some winning. I've got some cracker jack sussex pullets I'll definitely be taking and also have some nice partridge wyandottes. Yarg. I think I just need to do some sorting for sure today to see what I have. The more I get to thinking about it, the more I realize I have lots of options.

Oh man! Lucky you, 15 minute drive!! Wish we had some down this way that close. Hope Gigantor isn't too far into his molt, I know he'd do well for you!!

The best thing to realize is if it is something over your head, don't attempt it. Wheel bearings are a safety issue, that if you screw up, you could get yourself or someone else killed.
But don't be afraid of it, just know your limitations. And always ask questions. Alot of mechanics oops, sorry, technicians, make a commission on the work they sell.
The way the economy is, sometimes you could have waited on that repair, but maybe his rent was due...JMO

Quote:
I've fixed my own vehicles since I was in my 20s, for the most part. I also insisted that my two kids learn how to change out a tire, change their oil and other fluids, and do a timing by ear. My Son is now in the Army and is a mechanic. When he went to trade school when he was a junior (it was part of their jr. year regime in High school), the teacher told him, "I can see you've done a lot of work on cars with your Dad." My Son replies, "No sir, everything I've learned so far in this was from my Momma!"
ep.gif
gig.gif
Old and crippled up now, so can't get under anything any more, but I can still diagnose, so when I take my truck to the shop, they know what to look at first. And I watch them! They don't get away with anything or try to fix until I can see it for myself. Too many places around here see a woman coming in and see dollar signs...they know better with me.
smile.png

Quote:
I am not so sure about the Sedalia show now myself. I've had several unexpected things come up and am having to pick and choose my priorities at the moment. The show I'm talking about that I will definitely be going to is the 127th Nebraska State Poultry Show here in Lincoln, NE. Its about 10 - 15 minutes from my house
wink.png
Can't get more lucky than that!

I so understand the problem with vehicles...I'm having quite a bit of troubles myself lately. Sure makes the budget reprioritize in a hurry.
th.gif

I was just gonna add that as I've been looking through the show catalog its looking like they have quite the prizes this year! Maybe, just maybe I might luck out and do some winning. I've got some cracker jack sussex pullets I'll definitely be taking and also have some nice partridge wyandottes. Yarg. I think I just need to do some sorting for sure today to see what I have. The more I get to thinking about it, the more I realize I have lots of options.

Oh man! Lucky you, 15 minute drive!! Wish we had some down this way that close. Hope Gigantor isn't too far into his molt, I know he'd do well for you!!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Gigantor might be ok to show, but I'm not holding my breath. He started molting at the beginning of last week. Both sickle feathers are gone and I noticed yesterday during treat time that he's starting to lose hackle feathers now and is looking particularly spotty in a couple places. I'm just not sure if he will get back in feather in such a short time. I basically have a week and a couple of days to get the entries mailed off, so have to make my decisions by then.

I do feel lucky that there are three shows within a couple hour drive of me. This will be my first time showing again in 10 years...have been to plenty of shows inbetween. I'm feeling like I have some lookers that might stand a chance tho!

Quote:
haha...I will be taking my nice camera and getting photos. I really hope that there are other Marans there, but the only other person I know raising them around here has made some pretty wild claims about her stock, but the photos of the actual birds I've seen are usually baby chicks, no adults. Most of the photos I see of her using photos in her ads are ones she's "borrowed" from others. Which to me is false advertising. She'd publicly made the claim that she has the best BCMs around and that no one else's stock can compare...so it will be interesting if she actually shows or not. I have yet to see her show...or produce photos of her own stock.

I hope I don't sound mean...I just think with claims like that...one would be proud to show the stock
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
haha yeah...that's what my gut is sending me...lots of red flags. I've had interaction with her and felt red flags even before I saw her ads for various reasons.... we'll see if she enters anything. I do think Gigantor would do well. And if he is in good enough shape he would be eligible for the prizes! He could stand to win a decent sum if I'm lucky enough, but it all depends upon how many show. If there arent' enough in his division then he won't be eligible for the larger awards

Back
Top Bottom