Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Its been awhile since I've shown. I've got some nice dark brahma girls and a few cochin roos that would show really well but. Getting them bathed and ready would be quite a chore lol

Are you taking any? Well have to exchange numbers through PM and meet up

Debbi thanks its nice to know you guys too

Quote:
yeah...I'll be showing this time...my first time in about 10 years...eek! I'm a bit nervous, but I suppose that's natural
smile.png
I'm not showing a ton, just enough to get back into it...that and the molting going on here is crazy! I will also be showing my dad's I will put them under his name, but guess who does all the breeding program, care, and prep? haha
Sounds good...we'll probably be the only red heads there haha

oh...I was gonna add that there is a meet for the Brahmas as well as the cochins...the Brahma is a state meet and the cochin is a special meet.
wink.png

Last edited:
So if i built a separate breeding pen for just keeping my BCM in to keep the offspring pure. Would Poriot be up to standard enough? The females are all similar in conformation with some actually getting copper on their necks and one is still black. They are all LF. He is still growing but is easily over 9/10 pounds now.
There is no one in my area for advice on chickens... ppl come to me for the advice... so that is why i am trying to learn what i can (it gets weird having calls for someone to id what breed their chicken is or if its male or female)

So where does Poirot rate as a BCM. Him and his BCM girls are ones (plus a wheaten marans hen) i bought at a chicken show from sheryl butler. Does he have this carnation comb you guys are worried about? Could you guys post an example of the "good and the bad"?
I live in a rural area so you guys are the best chance to make sure i am trying to do things right.

45279_p1030411.jpg

45279_p1030361.jpg

45279_p1030355.jpg

Quote:
hi Anna! nice to meet you formally so to speak.
tongue.png

me thinks math ace is probably workin with one of her and her husband's incubator inventions. i wouldnt even know where to start
idunno.gif

Sorry, to be late getting back with the response....

I am currently working on a hovabotor model # 2362 N

Quote:
its that time of year eh? Where its not so much fun going out to the pens...cause it hard to look at them in all their sadness...I just hope they feather out fast. its getting colder everyday. I don't know if I'm gonna end up making it to sedalia with everything going on here...but I need to do some more rearranging and culling in my breeder pens from last year to get ready for winter. I also have to prep the stalls and the chicken house for winter by clearing everything out, wipin down the walls, puttin down flea and mite dust, stalldry, then put in fresh wood chips, which work so much better for me. It won't take long, I've just been holding off as long as I could until my back was feeling a bit better. I'll try to do all that this weekend while I have time off. My work schedule has been really strange lately making it hard to get much done while it is light out

So are ALL you red headed ladies abandoning me? I am definitely going to the Sedalia show. I have decided to go ahead and show a couple bantam cochins. They are the only ones in show condition. I have several other birds I could possibly show, but they have been in wire pens and their feather condition is not the greatest.

When I get back from the show and my little vacation, I will have to get some pics of my BCM pullets from this year. I have culled down to just 3, and I think they are looking pretty nice. I like them better than what I had last year. I think I am going to go back with them to Goliath, who is also their papa.

ON THE CARNATION COMB ISSUE (not shouting, just wanted to draw attention)
hide.gif
I have not had what I would say is a carnation comb. Of all the chicks I have hatched, I have had one side sprig, about in the middle of the comb. What I have had, though, is kind of a "wave" to the comb. Sometimes they will curve a little, sometimes the points tilt out a ways, but all originate from the same "line" of the comb. The combs are not always straight, like the teeth on a comb for hair. Is this possibly attached to the carnation comb issue? My BCM's are all pure Wade-Jean line. I have never mixed them.

Does anyone know the exact history of the Wade Jean birds? Was this line ever mixed with penendesencas? It would be interesting to know since that is what I have and plan to stick with.

Back
Top Bottom