Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
Yep. Langshans have way too high of a tail set, way too big of a tail, too long of a body, and not a large or broad enough breast.

All US based Langshans are indeed feather-legged though.

People please don't be so inspired by my mention of Ameraucanas though. I mean that ONLY in reference to Lavenders, and only a picky choice of one.

Quote:
I understand what you mean. You would be amazed how fast you can wash out another breeds qualities if you only do a one time infusion of the color. Alot of people just dont realize how good Langshans are for out crossing. Thats alright because I know what what Langshans can bring to the table when being bred to other breeds. Theyre so many other qualities in these birds that would out rank other breeds when infusing new blood. Not trying to change your mind but its something to really think about. Vigorousness, hardiness, egg color ( good lines that lay dark eggs), disease resistance, good foragers, and good sized meaty birds. Ive not ever infused Langshans into a Maran but have always wanted to. Got to many projects as it is to start another one right now. Would love to see someone try it with a Blue Langshan.
Plus I guess it would depend on how long you was going to be doing your project. Short term- no I wouldn't use a Blue Langshan. Long term- I would use a Blue Langshan. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Skylinepoultry I have not visited your site but will do so to look at you birds. I guess that you do have some of them thar Langshans. I have never considered them as I have only just decided to increase the number of breeds that I raise. It is very hard to narrow down choices since so many chickens has swell attributes.
e
Illia do not be concerned that you are affecting me one way or another as far as breed choices. I have been wanting some birds from Jeanine at cloverleaf Poultry for some time. She has beautiful BBS Ameraucans, the colors that I am most interested in. I do however respect you skill and knowledge. Your website alone with the spectacular photos demonstrate what careful and professional work that you aspire to. Sometimes I do appear to be childish, that is because I am not really to seriously devoted to breeding poultry, it is only my third avocation.

Quote:
That's what's great about BYC. Its everyones opinions. I do raise Langshans. And I love em. They're a very under rated over looked breed and I don't know why? I wont be selling any for a while until middle 2012 maybe. Been concentrating on my Euskal Oiloa (Marraduna Basque) and special projects. I might let very small quantities go to dedicated Langshan Breeders. Good Luck on your project. Alot of helpful info and friendly people on here to help you out.

Quote:
Maybe I'm opinionated, but I see nothing in an Ameraucana that resembles a Marans. The AM has the wrong body form (too shallow) and why would you introduce a pea comb, muffs and blue eggs to the mix?

Walt

X2
I am by no means an experienced chicken breeder but I agree 100% with Walt. Nothing about Ameraucanas fits with Marans except that they are both chickens. Talk about a potential for disaster with genes down the road. Oy! Don't we already have enough trouble with that in Marans???
tongue.png

Quote:
Please understand you can breed your poultry any way you would like. This blue female has one of the worst Combs I have ever seen on a Marans and I have seen some bad combs. She for sure has a SPRIG and mostly likely a Carnation.

I believe that anyone that owns a breed of poultry has an obligation to leave the breed in as good or better condition .

im not on here much because im to cheep to buy new internet survice buy theres no way i would ever introduce anything that wasnt wheaten marans ... but i wonder starting with only 5 birds if and when i need new blood ? i used davis roo over budy henery / ronpresley hens for over 4 years . i did have a ebay hen that carried recessive yellow legs but i think i have for the most part worled that problem out..... for. my flock of 14 or so hens have all sroped laying . darnit. il use lighting in the coop soon .mabe a month or so from now. i havent seen alot of aparent faults useing a closed flock
iturned 4 birds into 14 hens and 6 roos but not used a new rooster very much . still useond my 5 year old davis roo. so what faults and how long can i keep doing this

Morning Everybody!
frow.gif

Only made it back a couple pages to try and catch up with whats going on, geesh you folks are busy.

OHHHHHH! Wanted to say WELCOME to the Marans thread to all the new folks joining us!
smile.png

My broody hatched out 2 chicks, 1 Black Copper and 1 Blue Copper. Both are very cute! Momma is a happy camper.

Question about the Lavenders.......if we had the Silver Ermine Marans or the Silver Colombian Marans (not sure of the name of them but they resemble the coronation sussex with the lavender coloring instead of the black like the Colombian Marans) anyway, if we had them in this country couldn't they be used to make Lavender Marans instead of having to outcross. I know we don't have them here in the States but just wondering if they could be used.

Back
Top Bottom