Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Susie, I could see me doing that to myself sometimes, even though the latch on the outside of the gate uses a lynch pin at the top to keep it shut. But, with Murphy's Law being what it is around here, and I seem to have worse luck than Murphy, I keep a small pair of wire nippers inside the coop!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Question please: I have notice that 2 of my marans chicks have 2 or three feathers developing on the middle toe--are these cull materal? Or I should say, if hens they head to the laying flock?
idunno.gif

Quote:
OMG!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
I hope she got revenge for that! I'm sure I would have.... just ask my husband.
wink.png

Oh my...SO glad we haven't seen predators around our coop yet. It's predator proof, but I'd rather them not know our chickens are in the yard.

Quote:
OMG!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
I hope she got revenge for that! I'm sure I would have.... just ask my husband.
wink.png

Oh my...SO glad we haven't seen predators around our coop yet. It's predator proof, but I'd rather them not know our chickens are in the yard.

just b careful of them racoons there tricky and will pull the chicken pice by pice threw the smallest hole but im sure you knpw that ani i beleave if the head is gone its a racoon .we have alot of great horned owl here in west virginia but they eat mostly the wild turkey.

Quote:
YOU WERE JUST PULLIN' MY CHAIN???!!!!
barnie.gif

old.gif
While everyone else is catchin' coons & possums, you caught yourself a Mountain Mel!!! I ALMOST called Pinkchick at 10:00 last night to let her in on the news so she could buy birds from Bev if she wanted too!
D.gif
I don't often "get had", as it were - but you sure got me hook, line, and sinker on that one!
hide.gif
clap.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

I googled. I believe it is the Cooper's Hawk we have here.

coopers_hawk_F5R6520-Edit.jpg

r08.jpg

coha_glamor1.jpg

Ok, folks, here we go -- pictures from Crossroads -

High point of the show for me: Bev Davis' watch ....
38460_img_0453-1.jpg

And now to Marans business (apologies in advance for the less than ideal photos. Caged birds are tricky!) - bad combs prevailed but as was frequently pointed out by the judges, combs are only worth a couple of points in the grand scheme of things.

There were 100 Wheaten entries at the show. (Going for APA approval for acceptance into the SOP which was granted with conditions. Wording about colouring has to be tweaked.)

Winning Wheaten pullet
38460_img_0388-1.jpg

Winning Wheaten cock (shown later with Edgar Mongold)
38460_img_0395-2.jpg

Winning Cuckoo cock
38460_img_0399-3.jpg

Winning Blue Copper pullet
38460_img_0408-4.jpg

Second place Black Copper pullet
38460_img_0412-5.jpg

First place Black Copper pullet
38460_img_0415-6.jpg

First place Black Copper cockerel
38460_img_0418-7.jpg

Edgar Mongold demonstrating with the winning Wheaten cock - pointing out the good and the bad
38460_img_0456-7.jpg

The Marans egg table. VERY impressive. Bev Davis' Black Copper eggs really were clearly superior (shape, size, and colour) and deserved their win.
38460_img_0436-6.jpg

BarnGoddess01 and Wynette - representing BYC
tongue.png

38460_img_0490-9.jpg

At the end of the day - I can't tell you how much I and lots of others learned about showing and breeding chickens AND all things Marans!!

Thanks so much for posting those nice pics. I took pics at Newman Ga show so I do know how those caged birds can be. They put thier butts toward you till you walk away LOL!! DOes anyone remember what remarks were made about the wheaten good and bad? I wish I was there to see that demostration!
The winners are all nice birds. Congratulations to the owners and thier birds!

What a cool watch! Where on earth did Bev find that gem?

BTW Happy Halloween everyone
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom