Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
Depending on the breed...yes...but minus the strong hook bill like parrot have
wink.png
I prefer the round heads....usually birds with a round head will balance out the overall look of a bird too. For me its about the look of the whole bird. I've had some birds with fantastic head shape, but still cull them due to another factor in the body of the bird that would cause me problems later on. Its all about balance for me. One of my favorite sayings from this thread is "build the barn first, paint it later". Meaning getting the body type dialed in and then working on details. It has made the challenge of the Marans seem much more doable to me since I got into them.
smile.png

You know how a squirrel will sit with it's tail curled up over it's back... a squirrel tail in poultry refers to a tail with too great of an angle. In marans the tail should have an angle of about 45 degrees from the ground. Sometimes tails come up at an angle greater than 90 degrees, or even curl up over the back. This is okay in some breeds, such as Japanese bantams, but it is not okay in marans and is often associated with an improper body type such as the length of the back.

In the chicks pictured that gilavina was discussing, the first thing I noticed was the shape of the head. Some of our Jersey Giants we used to have had a head shaped like that. It kind of reminds me of a roman nosed horse.

Quote:
Mine are packed up and have been for about about a month now....
big_smile.png

I am waiting until at least Januaray or so before I drag them back out.
pop.gif

I really want to wait until March or so, but I don't know if I will be able to hold out that long!
hide.gif

Quote:
lau.gif

Kathy you are one funny lady!
lol.png
hugs.gif

I posted that just for you, Debi, and Lisa. I knew you all would appreciate it, and KNOW I was kidding!
lol.png

On the other hand, I think Bev liked my girl.
big_smile.png
I am gonna work on her.....

Last edited:
Quote:
Sooooooo Who is Who?
I've not met either, so which one are you BarnGoddess01?

I didn't get to meet either one, but I saw the barn goddess around and she is on the left so must be Wynette on the right.

Back
Top Bottom