Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Wynette, All I have done is give my opinion and nothing else. I know from experience that there are different ways to accomplish the same end product.
AGREED!

Cyn, I was JUST thinking about the pairing process when Don posted this. It's so important to choose the right cross - single mating is SO important in this regard. Your example of your male and what type of females you have paired him with to produce a better next generation is the perfect example of what Don is saying!

Thanks, Walt!

Has anyone ever used a roo with a bend it it's comb (sideways - like was discussed above)??

Does it breed forward?
Is it more common in roos with an overly large comb?
Yes someone on this thread said to try so I single mated no bad combs and I increased my type as the cock bird was very good in other areas. I only single mate with this bird and have kept one son to use very nice in all areas so far and his offspring look very nice. I used the first cock to help with early maturing and size he has great width all the way thru I only wish I could find another cock as good as this one is for size and width and good wing carriage for his size.....his pullets [FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]unfortunately[/FONT] have light egg color only 4/5 but I can work on that I have to pick my battles.

Yes someone on this thread said to try so I single mated no bad combs and I increased my type as the cock bird was very good in other areas. I only single mate with this bird and have kept one son to use very nice in all areas so far and his offspring look very nice. I used the first cock to help with early maturing and size he has great width all the way thru I only wish I could find another cock as good as this one is for size and width and good wing carriage for his size.....his pullets [FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]unfortunately[/FONT] have light egg color only 4/5 but I can work on that I have to pick my battles.

Great to know. Question: is the comb size of the offspring the same as the cock birds, or smaller?

Walt , there were several of these males all brothers and we were asked to pick a couple for possible breeders. I was reluctant at first because they had so many faults like narrow back, narrow chest, major comb issues. Stuff that should not be bred together when breeding Marans especially brother-sister. I am not a brother-sister breeder to begin with.

I am really enjoying this discussion, there is so much to be learned here. As far as brother-sister, I am a bit confused on definition. The sire is the same, but he was with multiple hens, so the offspring could be from any number of dams, so wouldn't they be considered half-brother or half-sister? In theory, anyway: I don't really know which chicks came from which hens. I have more small pens now, so with the next generation, I will have the ability to single mate, where I didn't before, and that will help me out a lot.

I am really enjoying this discussion, there is so much to be learned here. As far as brother-sister, I am a bit confused on definition. The sire is the same, but he was with multiple hens, so the offspring could be from any number of dams, so wouldn't they be considered half-brother or half-sister? In theory, anyway: I don't really know which chicks came from which hens. I have more small pens now, so with the next generation, I will have the ability to single mate, where I didn't before, and that will help me out a lot.
Since you can now separate them, IMO, that's most definitely the way for you to proceed; then, every 3-4 years, swap a cock bird from each pen. That's a good way to keep your LINE pure, but to bring in "new" blood.

Sorry to barge in, but I received what I believe to be BCMs and FBCMs in a chick shipment this spring. I ordered Wheaten Ameraucanas, but they said their girls went broody and that they would send olive eggers instead. I don't think these are OEs, they don't have pea combs.

They say they have Bev Davis birds. They say they have both French and English birds.

Do you think these are pure Marans?

They're about 13 weeks now. Sorry some of them have crazy eyes - I had my camera set funny...

goldfinches - "olive eggers" can certainly have straight combs, and those that do most often do not lay olive-colored eggs. If you ordered & paid for purebred Ameraucanas and they sent you olive eggers instead, I sure hope they refunded you some money!

goldfinches - "olive eggers" can certainly have straight combs, and those that do most often do not lay olive-colored eggs. If you ordered & paid for purebred Ameraucanas and they sent you olive eggers instead, I sure hope they refunded you some money!
They refunded me for chicks they didn't send, (approx 20 babies), but not the difference for the OE vs. Ameraucanas.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom