Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hello, I'm new to this thread. I breed FBBS Marans.

My babies

droolin.gif

I got my first Marans Egg for this year
ya.gif
I am sure it was from my Blue Copper Pullet. She is with Kim's Dark Blue Roo so SPLASH is a possibility for the first time since I have had Marans
clap.gif

Her egg was as dark as the one from my hen. Almost the exact same color. Hoping it will get a little darker, but BIGGER is all I expect.
wink.png

As requested here are some photos of the little ones. I have to say these 4 are the most docile chicks Ive had. They love my hand and crawl and hop over it, crawl under it, eat from it. They are funny!

I recently bought this hen, age 16-18 weeks i think. The seller was very vague and wasn't sure what it was, just called it a "cuckoo". when I said "Oh, cuckoo maran?" she just said "oh no no."
That was the end of the conversation.
I was thinking it may be a plymouth rock x australorp, because she had those breeds cruising around her property, but when I posted in the Plymouth Rock thread they seemed to think it was a cuckoo maran.
I'm not convinced. I don't think this lady was into her pure breds!

What do you think??

I recently bought this hen, age 16-18 weeks i think. The seller was very vague and wasn't sure what it was, just called it a "cuckoo". when I said "Oh, cuckoo maran?" she just said "oh no no."
That was the end of the conversation.
I was thinking it may be a plymouth rock x australorp, because she had those breeds cruising around her property, but when I posted in the Plymouth Rock thread they seemed to think it was a cuckoo maran.
I'm not convinced. I don't think this lady was into her pure breds!

What do you think??

She may be a cross, but she looks like my blue cuckoo's this girl has feathered legs. Her eggs will tell you lots more. Cuckoo Marans don't lay DARK eggs just DARKER than brown, sometimes.

I have a question about breeding marans (or any other chocolate egger). I posted it in a separate thread, but, then I saw this thread and I thought, "Hmmmm....why not ask the experts?"

This may be a stupid question, but, I'm brand spanking new to breeding (Ok, I'm not purposely breeding chickens, I just happened to have some "cross dressers" in with the hens I got and decided to try having my own chicks.).

If I were to breed a marans (or any other chocolate egger) with a leghorn (or another high-production layer), what color eggs would their offspring lay? I know this may be silly, but, I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks for taking the time to indulge a newbie.

I have a question about breeding marans (or any other chocolate egger). I posted it in a separate thread, but, then I saw this thread and I thought, "Hmmmm....why not ask the experts?"

This may be a stupid question, but, I'm brand spanking new to breeding (Ok, I'm not purposely breeding chickens, I just happened to have some "cross dressers" in with the hens I got and decided to try having my own chicks.).

If I were to breed a marans (or any other chocolate egger) with a leghorn (or another high-production layer), what color eggs would their offspring lay? I know this may be silly, but, I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks for taking the time to indulge a newbie.
Well Im not familiar with the color eggs Leghorns lay. I know they are either white or brown. If they lay white eggs you will get i think the standard brown color eggs. If they lay a brown egg, you may get a shade or two darker. You probably will not get any substantially dark Marans shades of eggs. If you crossed a Marans with a blue egg layer you would get an olive egg. If you are looking to get dark eggs stick with Marans/Marans. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom