Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
That is too funny! The "boy" is a real sweetie... he was on the small side at first but he is playing catch up bigtime! It's fun watching them grow and change.

Wow. I am new here and loving this thread. We just got a Maran chick. 8 weeks old and it looks like i stumbled upon something lucky by accident.

The deal was that I found a lady near me with chicks. She had an Easter Egger that I was interested in because I think colored eggs are cool.
cool.png
She said she had a Maran chick and it would lay dark colored eggs. Ok, that sounds cool. I will take that one too.
smile.png
This lady only had two Maran chicks (one pullet and one Rooster, or so it looks like). I didn't realize till I started poking around on here that they are kind of rare or harder to come by and it seems from my reading that my chick meets all the standards and such. She is a feathered leg baby. VERY Sweet. The kids named her Mary since she is a Maran. She mostly breeds and sells Polish so I think its cool that I stumbled across this chick.

I should also mention that I don't currently have any chickens laying eggs. I seriously just started this chicken thing in March. It is SOO FUN!

I bought her for $3.00.
thumbsup.gif

Here she is.
maran.jpg

ETA: She is just starting to barely get the copper color on the tips of some of her feathers. I can't wait to see what she looks like when she is grown.

Last edited:
Surprised?

I hope in a good way. You don't think SHE is a HE do you? I hope not. I really want her to be a girl. I got a 50/50 chance right? LOL

I have a color question. Is a blue copper maran simply a cross between a black copper and a blue? If so, whats the percentages.... for example, if I bred a black copper roo over solid blue hens.... how many would be blue, how many black, how many blue copper, and how many black copper?

That is two different varieties of Marans.
Some of the Marans varieties are:
Coppers
Wheatons
Plain /or Solids (Blue/Black/Splash)
Silver Cuckoos
Golden Cuckoo
Birchen
White
Columbian
etc ....... (there are more!)

You don't really want to cross the varieties, from what I understand.

Quote:
Yote~

Breeding a Black Copper or Blue Copper to a solid black or blue hen or visa versa will give you blue and black babies but they will not be pure black copper or blue copper or solids. They will be mixed if you will, but still pure Marans of course only if they lay an egg that qualifies. They would not feather out correctly to be considered a certain color variety of Marans. A person can make the blue and black coppers this way but it would take several generations to breed out any unwanted traits. The amount of copper that the chicks will have will depend on how much copper the parents have to contribute.

This is the way it works but it seems to me a person has to set a large number of eggs not sure how many....I wouldn't think that these percentages would be the same out of a small hatch.

Blue x Blue =25% Black, 25% Splash and 50% Blue
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
Blue x Splash 50% Blue , 50% Splash
Splash x Black = 100% Blue
Blue x Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black x Black =100% Black

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Quote:
sorry to say but that is a roo you are holding. although a very cute one
smile.png
at least thats how I would sex it.