Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Alan~

Here is my Isabelle and one of her sisters.
Isabelle
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11170_imgp5992.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11170_imgp6001.jpg

Pinkchick,
Love your roo and gals. Your coops are pink! I guess I'm not a girly girl...my parents bought me a pink bicycle when I was 6, and I spray painted it green.
I've come to appreciate pink a little more as an adult artist...love pink camellias and azaleas...but I don't think my roo's would ever forgive me if I painted
the coops pink
lol.png

Quote:
Thanks! No that's not Charmin...lol the first one is Isabelle and the second photo is her sister #5 (no name yet). Their other sister #4 doesn't have as much copper as they do but she has fantastic type and lays the darkest egg in that coop.
smile.png

CP~

I just tell myself that they are color blind and they don't mind the color of their coops! I may have given them a choice had they been the ones building them and putting up fence.
lol.png
gig.gif
lol.png
gig.gif
Even funnier is when DH thought that he would offer his color choice...........again........he wasn't the one constructing them.......so PINK it was! The coop colors have finally grown on him.
lau.gif

Quote:
I agree. By the time someone else breeds say a Davis stock with their own Davis stock and so on... They will develope different traits depending on each chicken. So, even though they are Davis stock, they may have no feathered shanks, or a squirrel tail or something that has changed.
So someone could actually breed their own traits/lines from Davis stock depending on how they match up the pairs. I know I wouldnt want a Davis roo with light Hackles. But that all goes back to the buyers responsibility to do their own homework about the seller and their stock no matter what "lines" they came from.

Just think about how many people could have toyed with a Davis Line before it actually gets to you....
wink.png

eta:
Besides, I want to be known for my own line...

Last edited:
finally things evened out with my wheaten marans, i now have 15 first generation hens and 15 first generation roos, there for a wile i was hatching out roosters like crazy! i got 7 more eggs hatching out tomorrow and hope to have a few hens in that batch , it takes forever raising and working with the breed . i plan to keep at least a few of the 15 or 20 hens as long as the egg color is better then the original davis / Presley stock im starting with, it just takes 10 months for each generation ...
i got wheatens comeing out the wazoo!

Question for you guys, on a roo when the copper starts breaking, does it ever darken as it breaks?

I have a really nice 9wk old roo that I would like to keep but his hackle and saddle feathers just started breaking and they are a lighter than all of the others. It's not a straw color but it's not copper either.

If there could be a possibility that he will darken in color as the feathers emerge I'd really like to keep him.

Any advice?

celebrate.gif

So my hatch is going pretty good, dont want to put a jinx on me but have the last 3 BHB eggs hatching right now than Im done..
I thought they were gone because most of them hatched yesterday. I should know better, I almost always have them do this to me.
I'll post some picture tomorrow..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom