Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I am now a chicken surgeon.
hmm.png

I had a 6 week old Blue Copper pullet with an impacted craw. No one within 200 miles of me would touch it. So I had to. With the help of the Sticky on the subject here and a friend in the surgical field, I just had to do it. I was not willing to kill her or watch her die.

Everything went according to plan except for a couple things that I did not count on, the shrinking of the craw after it was emptied and the shrinking of the whole chest/neck area. I didnt consider this when plucking feathers, I should have plucked more to make the area larger to work with. After it shrunk up, it was difficult to get stitched back up.

I had everything I needed to do this right. #3 stitch needle with dissolving stitches, Betadine swabs, gauze, hemos, tweezers, scalpel, neosporin. I tried to imulate the procedure listed here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21291

Pretty much worked just like it was supposed to, as far as I know. The pullet was much smaller and not easy to work on for that reason.

My wife assisted me and did the stitching. It took all of about 13 minutes from start to finish. The chick is eating a watered down slurry of chick starter and vitamins along with vitamin water. She seems to be alright for now, I don't know how long this would take to heal up. She is moving around, preening, drinking, & eating.

Keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck! *Better yet, wish her luck*

27420_post_op.jpg

WOW.... that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
There is some luck to start her off!!!

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
thats how it was with my first. I did get a second egg that was darker but not greart. I took pics I am downloading them now.

Ok......call me CRAZY!!!!! (like any one really needed an invite to call me that..
gig.gif
) I am ordering Black Coppers from GreenFire Farms and going on the waiting list for Blue Coppers.
I have to admit that I was a little freaked out when the news that Bev was selling her flocks came around....so after some exchanges of emails with her and Paul of Green Fire Farms I am ready set go!!!!!!!! What a team Bev and Paul!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a perfect match up in my opinion.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

pinkchick - congrats! Hope you're very happy with what you get. Sidebar: there are many folks who have pure Davis stock. Though I'm glad Bev is working so closely with Paul, his price is a bit high...do your homework, and you can find the exact same thing from other folks. I'm not trying to take biz away from him or Bev; Bev and I are quite friendly & chat often. I'm just putting the info. out there!

60Acres - R U KIDN ME! Wow - holy cow! Congrats on a great job...it sounds like your girl is doing quite well! What was she impacted with if I might ask? Always good to know. I lost a Marans girl to impacted crow due to eating hay - it got all balled up in her crop and was too late to help her before I realized it...sigh.

ok so here is one of those puyllet eggs. it is really dull i wet part of it and it darkens a bit. Nothing like what my other Marans laid when they started. yesterdays egg was more normal but no darker than a 4 on the chart. so odd ince the eggs they came from were nice and dark. Not all have started laying yet so I have high hopes for the others.

fbcmeggfrompullet.jpg

AHappychick That egg is either... a stressed bird... too much Calcium or a first laying hen.... There are eggies that are just simply matte like that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom