Marans with puffy butt

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
So I have another thread about this bird and her eggs. She’s been laying soft shelled eggs. I gave her extra calcium in fermented feed and that seemed to help her out.

But she also has diarrhea and what looks like a swollen butt(?). Between her legs. It looked swollen last week so I gave her a bath to wash the poo off and examined her. She felt normal. Today she looks bigger. She also pooped when my rooster mounted her. The rooster in question is a 6 month old light Brahma. So he’s a bit bigger than her and not so gentle. But I’m wondering if anything else is going on I should look into.
The one in question is the one without the orange zip tie.
F40A6EC7-43C3-470C-B38D-9FA751D2B846.jpeg
48450DAD-9414-4E6B-AA50-17AD0848C6FB.jpeg
C7FD18E8-A8D0-4E31-B2A9-2BBCCB324FB0.jpeg
56FC5100-8688-483C-91C0-94267F298DC3.jpeg
3D149B58-A0A6-460C-A569-C28FDE8F2A14.jpeg
60EB3D12-0F32-4BAA-ABCA-E0E0370E2A09.jpeg

The swollen butt could be from infection or simply fat. The runny poop could be from infection or simply from eating high water content food such as fermented feed. I feed FF and half the poop I encounter is on the wet side.

Until your hen gives you more to go on, lethargic behavior or self isolating, there really isn't enough to know what to treat for.

If the hen is now laying eggs with decent quality shells, it's time to stop giving her the calcium in her food. Too much calcium is hard on the kidneys and risks disfiguring the egg shells with excess calcium deposits.

The swollen butt could be from infection or simply fat. The runny poop could be from infection or simply from eating high water content food such as fermented feed. I feed FF and half the poop I encounter is on the wet side.

Until your hen gives you more to go on, lethargic behavior or self isolating, there really isn't enough to know what to treat for.

If the hen is now laying eggs with decent quality shells, it's time to stop giving her the calcium in her food. Too much calcium is hard on the kidneys and risks disfiguring the egg shells with excess calcium deposits.
I’ll keep a look out for the lethargy and self isolating. She lays a solid egg every other day. So the days she gets the calcium. Im waiting until she lays a solid egg on the day she doesn’t get her special feed to cut it back. Hopefully this weekend will be the real test for the egg because she doesn’t get any of the special feed.

Back
Top Bottom