Marble lump in neck

Stephnrobby

Songster
Aug 15, 2019
Clanton, Alabama
My 6 month old brahma is having trouble eating, everytime he does he seems to be choking. I have recently picked him up and there is a marble size lump in his throat/neck. And I'm wondering if there is anything we can do to help him. His crop is empty. We have him penicillin week ago butt he's still the same. Please help so I don't have to put him down.

So he's coughing?
Seriously, is one end of that worm forked on one end, hard to tell - if you still have that worm get some better photos.
I would go get some Safeguard Liquid Goat De-Wormer asap! Give him 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
Don't delay on getting the meds. If that is a Gapeworm, hopefully you have caught it early enough that there's not too much damage and he will recover.

Look at Tractor Supply in the Goat Section. If they don't have the liquid, then you can use the paste which is in the Horse Section. Get the smallest syringes they have at your Tractor Supply.

View attachment 2388497View attachment 2388502
I felt his crop today and he had food there finally. I don't have that worm but I will go get that safeguard anyway and give him some

My 6 month old brahma is having trouble eating, everytime he does he seems to be choking. I have recently picked him up and there is a marble size lump in his throat/neck. And I'm wondering if there is anything we can do to help him. His crop is empty. We have him penicillin week ago butt he's still the same. Please help so I don't have to put him down.
I can move this lump up and down a little...haven't really seen him with the water yet
Can you get some photos of him and his poop?
What do you feed?

Look inside his beak for any obstructions or lesions.

You mention the lump is in his throat/neck - when you post the photo - mark the area you are talking about. Hard to tell if you are talking about his crop or some other problem.

You mention you gave Penicillin a week ago - dose and for how long?
How long has he had this problem?

He doesn't have anything in his beak, and he just keeps coughing up everything he eats. It's a soft lump I can move it but it goes back.
He coughed this up...looked like dead worm
So he's coughing?
Seriously, is one end of that worm forked on one end, hard to tell - if you still have that worm get some better photos.
I would go get some Safeguard Liquid Goat De-Wormer asap! Give him 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
Don't delay on getting the meds. If that is a Gapeworm, hopefully you have caught it early enough that there's not too much damage and he will recover.

Look at Tractor Supply in the Goat Section. If they don't have the liquid, then you can use the paste which is in the Horse Section. Get the smallest syringes they have at your Tractor Supply.

1603751273647.png
1603751345285.png

Just a little advice if it is a Rock blockage, work it up, out through the mouth. If you pass it to the crop, it may get lodged in there, & will cause even bigger problems.

Can you get some photos of him and his poop?
What do you feed?

Look inside his beak for any obstructions or lesions.

You mention the lump is in his throat/neck - when you post the photo - mark the area you are talking about. Hard to tell if you are talking about his crop or some other problem.

You mention you gave Penicillin a week ago - dose and for how long?
How long has he had this problem?
I've noticed it maybe 2 weeks now.
It's not his crop it's way above that but not as far as his beak. I can try and get pics in few it is pouring rain right now.

Back
Top Bottom