March 13th 2016 Hatch-A-long

I just set 11 eggs with a year old Silver Phoenix over Bantam Cochin model broody-bator.
big_smile.png
Can I join?
That's her on the right with her man before becoming broody.

I bought a thermometer/hygrometer with a probe from Incubator Warehouse. I like it alot. It has a digital read out.
I got the IncuTherm Plus from Incubator Warehouse. LOVE IT! It has the probe that goes into the incubator. Gives me great readings. I also have an AccuRite that I got at Home Depot. The only complaint about it is that it doesn't have the number after the decimal point, but it works really well otherwise.

Temps holding steady -- 100 (Hovebator Genesis). Humidity started at around 50 and I've let it go down to about 34%. Will keep it around that till lockdown. (dry hatching)

Last edited:
Our temp is holding at 99.5 - 101.3 ( still air ) Humidity at 37- 43%. How is everyone else doing?
I think for still air the temp should be about one degree higher. Around 101-102 if possible.
So far, my batch is looking good, temperature steady at 99.8-100 and I get to do the first candling tomorrow on day 7! I hope all is doing well.

Looks like I'm joining you. I set about 2 doz eggs last night. I really only meant to set 1 dozen but I couldn't help myself.

I think this is the thread for those of us wanting to join the Easter hatch a long...... but didn't have the patience to wait that long! LOL

Honestly, this is simply a test to check fertility. I have English orps, so sometimes they have too much butt fluff & need a trim. Before I sell hatching eggs to the preschools, I want to make sure they are fertile. Don't want to upset the little kiddos.

I usually wait 5-7 days before candling. What's the earliest anyone has seen veining?

I tried to candle just know (day 4 just started) and, of course, couldn't see a thing. Heck, the light wouldn't even go through my Olive and Chocolate eggs ... not sure if I'll every be able to see anything in them.

My daughter's bantam eggs are light but could only see yolk shape -- no veining. The air sac looked a little large at this point so I upped humidity a bit.

Guess I'll trying being patient and actually waiting for the REAL candling day.

P.S. what is everyone using to candle?? Anything strong enough for dark/olive eggs?

Back
Top Bottom