1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

March 13th 2016 Hatch-A-long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by 4stakes, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Faraday40

Faraday40 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Here are some pics of our home-made incubator. I'm actually using a styrofoam one at the moment, because it has a turner. For hatching, nothing beats our big viewing window! (The cool-bator holds the temp very steady & actually gets a better hatch rate, but I just have a busy schedule right now.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 4stakes

4stakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Baileyville, IL
    Faraday, have you ever put eggs in egg cartons at lock down to hatch? Just wanted your opinion.

Thanks, Kevin

3. jchny2000

jchny2000 Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I'm in! Test hatch 1 tray of Orpington, Sumatra and Ameruacana set the 21st.

4. Faraday40

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Yes, I've done it a few times. I do not notice a difference in hatch %, but the chicks seem to struggle more as they climb up & out. They seem to take a little longer to get themselves out of the shell, so not as much fun to watch. I also worry that they'll hurt themselves when trying to climb over the cartons & shells.

For our family, the hatching day (& night) is when the incubator becomes the focal point of the house. The incubator is a big TV with the egg channel always on. It's addictive, so all night long, we tip-toe downstairs to peek. If one is zipping, then of course we must wake everybody up to come watch! We all look like a family of racoons after a good hatch! LOL Many visitors also stop by.to view the incubator. I'm a teacher, so I let my students know what times they are permitted to visit my house. During those "visiting hours" it's a constant flood of activity & non-stop questions.
    [​IMG]

For the last couple years, we've had chicks the week before Easter. I enjoy getting my kids dressed up & using the chicks as great photo props.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one from 8 yrs ago!
    [​IMG]

5. FaithWalkFarms

FaithWalkFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2013
    Aggieland, Texas
    Just candled (using phone) and I SAW VEINS!!!!!!! The light olive and EE eggs all looked good; didn't bother trying all of the maran and dark OE eggs. 3 of my daughter's 4 bantam eggs (very light) all showed veins and embryo ... the 4th seems to have a blood ring but I'm waiting to toss since it's only Day 5 and maybe it's just slow.

I have a bunch of those 9 LED flashlights at work so I'm going to grab one for Day 8/10 canceling since that will be easier than using my phone.

6. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    That's great!

7. Faraday40

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. 4stakes

4stakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Baileyville, IL
    Good for you. We will candle on Saturday at day 7.

9. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG]
    Here's my only white egg, candled at day 10. I candled about half of the others, and there was only one that I wasn't sure about, so I marked it and left it in there for next time. All the others looked good!

10. Knigge

Knigge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2016
    we candeled today too. Of 40 eggs we had 3 blood rings and 2 possible clears. Left the clears in just in case. Day 7 isn't actually until tomorrow but we are pretty busy tomorrow and it's gonna be nice tomorrow and Sunday so we went ahead and did them today. Now we wait another week. I think day 14 is the neatest day to candle. You can really see them dancing around in there. The kids love it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by