March 13th 2016 Hatch-A-long

Here are some pics of our home-made incubator. I'm actually using a styrofoam one at the moment, because it has a turner. For hatching, nothing beats our big viewing window! (The cool-bator holds the temp very steady & actually gets a better hatch rate, but I just have a busy schedule right now.)

Faraday, have you ever put eggs in egg cartons at lock down to hatch? Just wanted your opinion.

Thanks, Kevin
Yes, I've done it a few times. I do not notice a difference in hatch %, but the chicks seem to struggle more as they climb up & out. They seem to take a little longer to get themselves out of the shell, so not as much fun to watch. I also worry that they'll hurt themselves when trying to climb over the cartons & shells.

For our family, the hatching day (& night) is when the incubator becomes the focal point of the house. The incubator is a big TV with the egg channel always on. It's addictive, so all night long, we tip-toe downstairs to peek. If one is zipping, then of course we must wake everybody up to come watch! We all look like a family of racoons after a good hatch! LOL Many visitors also stop by.to view the incubator. I'm a teacher, so I let my students know what times they are permitted to visit my house. During those "visiting hours" it's a constant flood of activity & non-stop questions.

For the last couple years, we've had chicks the week before Easter. I enjoy getting my kids dressed up & using the chicks as great photo props.

Here's one from 8 yrs ago!

Just candled (using phone) and I SAW VEINS!!!!!!! The light olive and EE eggs all looked good; didn't bother trying all of the maran and dark OE eggs. 3 of my daughter's 4 bantam eggs (very light) all showed veins and embryo ... the 4th seems to have a blood ring but I'm waiting to toss since it's only Day 5 and maybe it's just slow.

I have a bunch of those 9 LED flashlights at work so I'm going to grab one for Day 8/10 canceling since that will be easier than using my phone.

Just candled (using phone) and I SAW VEINS!!!!!!! The light olive and EE eggs all looked good; didn't bother trying all of the maran and dark OE eggs. 3 of my daughter's 4 bantam eggs (very light) all showed veins and embryo ... the 4th seems to have a blood ring but I'm waiting to toss since it's only Day 5 and maybe it's just slow.

I have a bunch of those 9 LED flashlights at work so I'm going to grab one for Day 8/10 canceling since that will be easier than using my phone.
That's great!

Just candled (using phone) and I SAW VEINS!!!!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Here's my only white egg, candled at day 10. I candled about half of the others, and there was only one that I wasn't sure about, so I marked it and left it in there for next time. All the others looked good!

Here's my only white egg, candled at day 10. I candled about half of the others, and there was only one that I wasn't sure about, so I marked it and left it in there for next time. All the others looked good!
we candeled today too. Of 40 eggs we had 3 blood rings and 2 possible clears. Left the clears in just in case. Day 7 isn't actually until tomorrow but we are pretty busy tomorrow and it's gonna be nice tomorrow and Sunday so we went ahead and did them today. Now we wait another week. I think day 14 is the neatest day to candle. You can really see them dancing around in there. The kids love it.

Back
Top Bottom