March 13th 2016 Hatch-A-long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by 4stakes, Feb 18, 2016.

1. 4stakes

4stakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Baileyville, IL
    We are gonna candle tomorrow.

2. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    I can't wait to candle on day 14. Or any day really, but I always find days 10-14 really interesting, because I think you can see the most during those days.

3. 4stakes

4stakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Baileyville, IL
    We just candled our 33 eggs on day 7. 3 eggs looked bad, so got rid of them. 15 looked good and 15 we will see what they look like on day 14. Good luck everyone.

Kevin[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    Good luck to you too!

5. Faraday40

Faraday40 Chicken Obsessed

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    I was just offered more Bielefelder eggs!!.....but I need more chickens like a hole in the head.......and my incubator is already on day 5. I keep telling myself "just say NO," but I also don't always listen to myself. LOL

Of course I usually set up my coolerbator as a hatcher, so I could deal with a staggered hatch..... Perhaps if I leave some eggs in the coop I'll get a broody volunteer. Then it won't be MY fault if a hen hatches them. My bantam Orp, Cookie, already has the broody reputation. She went broody 5xs last year & already had a case of unauthorized incubation resulting in 7 chicks. She would make the perfect patsy.

Day5 was today so I peeked at a few eggs. Cookie & Trouble's bantam eggs looked clear. My Orp roos are full-sized so I guess I wasn't really expecting them to be fertile. I saw possible veins in a few of the lighter colored shells, but most eggs are brown. I just couldn't tell yet. I'll have to wait a few more days & then do a full candling.

1 person likes this.
  6. FaithWalkFarms

FaithWalkFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2013
    Aggieland, Texas
    Saw one of the Bantam babies squirming away today. :) Only one I candled. Trying to resist messing with them even though I want to check daily!

7. ForrestGump

ForrestGump Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2016
    Napavine, WA
    Mine are due to hatch on March 5th, so I guess I'm a week early. When I candled there are were a lot of infertile eggs (inexperienced roosters) so I have 34 eggs left. All of them are Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers. I'm hoping to sell them all before Easter [​IMG] or maybe give a couple to my broody hen.

8. Joplus

Joplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2014
    Hi. I just set eggs. I'm behind on this HAL but too early for the easter HAL. Can I just hang here? I set 3 dozen eggs. 2 dozen leghorns and 4 RIRs, 3 easter eggers, 3 Black Austrolorps and 2 barnyard mix (blue Andalusian roo over Wyandotte or something). I love candling the leghorns, I hope to get some really good pics this time. Two of the eggs have a tiny dent I am not sure if I should toss? It's like a hen pecked it. Happy hatching [​IMG]

9. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    You must resist!

10. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Today is my broody day 7. Candling tonight. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by