March 2017! Hatch with us!

Yes! Smallest is a button quail, next is a coturnix quail, then a silkie, and a Bielfielder :) My sister took the picture and keeps telling me to make sure people know it's her photo, but I claimed at least half of it for myself because they are my eggs haha.
Please tell your sister I love her photo!

Yes! Smallest is a button quail, next is a coturnix quail, then a silkie, and a Bielfielder :) My sister took the picture and keeps telling me to make sure people know it's her photo, but I claimed at least half of it for myself because they are my eggs haha.
Oh I forgot to ask. Since you said your eggs, do you hatch button quail? And how small are they at hatch and at full grown?
I know, you'll probably say...oh about the size of a button...

Definitely!
fl.gif
I totally get the "I'm staying away from the feed store" concept right now. What is it about those little fluffs that we find so irresistible? A friend of mine just got 6 more... but then I say to myself, "Self, you have 60 eggs incubating. Enough, already!
And I bet yourself answered..."just One!"

I have a question about EEs and their colors of eggs.

I would also like to know from others who have had to fend off predators. (I do know there's a predator help thread and I will post there too. I'm strangely shy asking people I haven't "met" yet).
I've tried to keep this (predator) issue off our hatch-a-long threads since these are happy fun threads.
I mentioned in the Feb hatch-a-long that I am wishing for my olive egg because Myrtle who laid it was killed by a predator.
Each time (3 times recently) I thought I'd sufficiently fixed any access area. After the feed store, I spent the rest of today re-re-re-enforcing the night-time covered pen in my "Upstairs"/mixed breed pen. I also moved several hens to "downstairs".
I suspect the racoon will win this one unless I sit up all night every night with a shotgun. (Then another will come along).

That is a bizarre introduction to my hatch/egg question!
Last week I discovered an egg that looked to have a pinkish tint. I compared it to the others I had inside. It wasn't That Pink but definitely different. Today somebody (hen) gave me another one of those.
The only EE or OE I've ever had was Mrytle, the OE who was killed last week.
I know in nature we aren't going to see bright hot pink. But might that pinkish tint mean it is an EE?
The hen I suspect laid it just moved into the front area. I think the key in why they aren't being hunted/attacked is due to my having the front lights pointed directly at the 2 pens/houses 24/7.

The question (geez, sorry for rambling) is, can anyone say anything about that pinkish tinted egg? Can anyone show a few pics of what an Easter egger's pink would look like compared to other colors, like tan.
I really appreciate all of you here on this board and on the hatch-a-long threads. I just have one other friend I consider to be part of "chicken people" in my life and my other friends are really really tired of hearing about anything to do with chickens and how attached and enthused I am.

That is enough out of me! Thank you to anyone who has the patience to read this!

Oh I forgot to ask. Since you said your eggs, do you hatch button quail? And how small are they at hatch and at full grown?
I know, you'll probably say...oh about the size of a button...

I used to raise them, but my allergies and asthma got too be too much to have birds in the house and it gets too cold to overwinter them outdoors, so I had to rehome them. they are ridiculously tiny when they hatch. bull grown they are like, a short fat version of a zebra finch? haha

Adults:

here is a handful of buttons:

Here is one a few days old next to a soda can:

and here is one next to an hour old silkie BANTAM chick:

Please tell your sister I love her photo!

X2! Great pic. The buttons are so adorable. And I thought coturnix were tiny when I hatched them!

I have a question about EEs and their colors of eggs.

I would also like to know from others who have had to fend off predators. (I do know there's a predator help thread and I will post there too. I'm strangely shy asking people I haven't "met" yet).
I've tried to keep this (predator) issue off our hatch-a-long threads since these are happy fun threads.
I mentioned in the Feb hatch-a-long that I am wishing for my olive egg because Myrtle who laid it was killed by a predator.
Each time (3 times recently) I thought I'd sufficiently fixed any access area. After the feed store, I spent the rest of today re-re-re-enforcing the night-time covered pen in my "Upstairs"/mixed breed pen. I also moved several hens to "downstairs".
I suspect the racoon will win this one unless I sit up all night every night with a shotgun. (Then another will come along).

That is a bizarre introduction to my hatch/egg question!
Last week I discovered an egg that looked to have a pinkish tint. I compared it to the others I had inside. It wasn't That Pink but definitely different. Today somebody (hen) gave me another one of those.
The only EE or OE I've ever had was Mrytle, the OE who was killed last week.
I know in nature we aren't going to see bright hot pink. But might that pinkish tint mean it  is an EE?
The hen I suspect laid it just moved into the front area. I think the key in why they aren't being hunted/attacked is due to my having the front lights pointed directly at the 2 pens/houses 24/7.

The question (geez, sorry for rambling) is, can anyone say anything about that pinkish tinted egg? Can anyone show a few pics of what an Easter egger's pink would look like compared to other colors, like tan.
I really appreciate all of you here on this board and on the hatch-a-long threads. I just have one other friend I consider to be part of "chicken people" in my life and my other friends are really really tired of hearing about anything to do with chickens and how attached and enthused I am.

That is enough out of me!  Thank you to anyone who has the patience to read this!

I can't answer that, but just wanted to say the kindred spirits here are strong and we know what each other are going thru. No one else seems to understand. My SIL got me into chickens, but she's raised them for years. We still talk alot about them, but she isn't as enthusiastic as she used to be. Thank goodness for you fine folks!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom