MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
I moved yesterday’s 2 hatchlings to the brooder this morning (1 white, 1 blue). I quickly candled the remaining 7 eggs and put them into lockdown as it is at least day 18 for the youngest eggs in my staggered hatch. 1 looked like an early quitter so I pulled it out, 4 looked good, 2 are question marks. One of the question marks looks fully developed but there’s some black floating blobs near the air cell and although the air cell is large the air cell has stopped growing. It doesn’t smell and doesn’t have any seepage so I don’t think it’s rotten. I put it back in and I’ll keep hoping it’s good. Given that 1 of the eggs that hatched yesterday was also a ? I don’t trust my own judgement :D

The other ? looked smaller than the others but is possibly ok and maybe actually is day 18... because one of the good ones just pipped so it makes sense it would be bigger. It pipped into the air cell so I’m tipping it will be blue or black.

You can add a bag of game bird starter and mix it in, it will up the protein. I do this when my birds are molting as well to encourage feather growth. I also never give layer feed to any of my birds, as I have a mixed flock, and offer oyster shell flakes on the side to those that need it. 😊
Ooh i have a lil bit of that i can add, Thankyou!

Ok so for us today is only day 4. I was going to candle tonight after work. Is it too early to see anything? If not what should I be looking for?
You can see some early development, especially in the lighter eggs. It will look like small "spider" veins. Though if you do not see anything this early, it does not necessarily mean there is no development. It is an enouraging sign. Many people wait until day 7 to candle to be certain, though I always candle at day 4. Photo from one of my early February hatches.😊
E1384B2B-B5BB-41C4-9CED-26F39054D8CD.jpeg

You can see some early development, especially in the lighter eggs. It will look like small "spider" veins. Though if you do not see anything this early, it does not necessarily mean there is no development. It is an enouraging sign. Many people wait until day 7 to candle to be certain, though I always candle at day 4. Photo from one of my early February hatches.😊View attachment 2554506
Perfect. My daughter has been wanting to candle since I started them on Monday lol. She’s very excited! And if we can see at least even just a little progress that will be great

Perfect. My daughter has been wanting to candle since I started them on Monday lol. She’s very excited! And if we can see at least even just a little progress that will be great
It is pretty cool watching them progress and then see them hatch. Great learning experience for kids!😊

Back
Top Bottom