MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
Mine are due to hatch Sunday. Barnyard mixes. I know someone selling 3/4 jersey giants 1/4 Americauna that I might throw into the incubator. I’ll have to sell some chicks! I have one coop that’s 7x 9 and one that’s 5x4 so I have to figure out how many I can actually keep!
Sounds like chicken math!🥰

Queen Chickaletta shall join here!
9.5 year old Silkie laid her 8 eggs and went broody this morning as expected so I transferred her and her eggs to the broody coop where she seemed most pleased with the nest I have presented her with, and so she sat without a cluck about it :love
This is her majesty Queen Chickaletta standing upon her rock yesterday..
IMG_20210302_102848.jpg
.. And this is her today on her nest...
IMG_20210303_122639.jpg
IMG_20210303_122701.jpg

I have eggggggs! 3 dozen. He didn't have as many gold wyandottes as I hoped but his birds were just sooo gorgeous.. so many show qualities. He only got a singular buff polish egg. 😭 But one polish is better than no polish. Maybe my polish girl will get the idea and I'll join the easter hatch. 🤞🤞 She's only 9 mos tho so my hopes aren't high. Nevertheless I have tons of swedish eggs. I'm thrilled. I really am.

Queen Chickaletta shall join here!
9.5 year old Silkie laid her 8 eggs and went broody this morning as expected so I transferred her and her eggs to the broody coop where she seemed most pleased with the nest I have presented her with, and so she sat without a cluck about it :love
This is her majesty Queen Chickaletta standing upon her rock yesterday..
View attachment 2552805
.. And this is her today on her nest...
View attachment 2552807
View attachment 2552808
Welcome to her royal highness, Queen Chickaletta and her human servant! 🥰

I’ve got a batch of eggs incubating that have mystery hatch dates as they were previously owned by a broody hen. I put them in the incubator 14 February. 4 hatched 24 February. 2 hatched yesterday, 1 pipped and hatched today and another has pipped today.
The staggered hatch is very exciting and slightly less stressful - I have no idea who will hatch or when so there‘s excitement every day (I tried candling but I’m obviously not good at it because one that hatched today is one I thought had quit 😀). It’s less stressful because I don’t know if someone is late to pip. But the staggered hatch has meant that some eggs have still been auto turning when they pipped and I don’t think I’ll be able to do a proper lockdown if eggs keep randomly pipping between now and actual day 21.
Something I have found interesting is that all of the chicks have pipped/hatched in pairs - one black and one white each time. The black ones have been pipping into the air cell and zipping within 6 hours of making external pip. The white ones have all pipped in the top and have taken over 24 hours to get out.
Up to 7 more to pip between now and actual day 21 (Sunday).

I’ve got a batch of eggs incubating that have mystery hatch dates as they were previously owned by a broody hen. I put them in the incubator 14 February. 4 hatched 24 February. 2 hatched yesterday, 1 pipped and hatched today and another has pipped today.
The staggered hatch is very exciting and slightly less stressful - I have no idea who will hatch or when so there‘s excitement every day (I tried candling but I’m obviously not good at it because one that hatched today is one I thought had quit 😀). It’s less stressful because I don’t know if someone is late to pip. But the staggered hatch has meant that some eggs have still been auto turning when they pipped and I don’t think I’ll be able to do a proper lockdown if eggs keep randomly pipping between now and actual day 21.
Something I have found interesting is that all of the chicks have pipped/hatched in pairs - one black and one white each time. The black ones have been pipping into the air cell and zipping within 6 hours of making external pip. The white ones have all pipped in the top and have taken over 24 hours to get out.
Up to 7 more to pip between now and actual day 21 (Sunday).
I wonder if she was a dedicated step mom, stealing an egg every day from the same hen

Back
Top Bottom