MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
Well, yesterday was the big day... 115 eggs went into my incubator. 25 of which were white Sulmtaler eggs from a breeder friend. The rest are from my wheaten Sulmtaler hens. :wee

Attachments

• 158308606_3702632153139415_3745616611367691118_n.jpg
    158308606_3702632153139415_3745616611367691118_n.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 6
I’m joining in at the last minute for an end of March hatch! I just set eight eggs last night of my own barnyard mix Easter Eggers - four from my Barred Rock and four from my Olive Egger. The sire is my Ameraucana rooster - he’s Gypsy Hen stock and was supposed to be a blue wheaten (or wheaten or splash wheaten). I hatched him last year and thought he was Splash Wheaten, but lately I’ve been wondering if he’s actually a white instead and the breeder got an egg mixed up? The Barred Rock cross chicks will be sex link; I was really hoping they’d be blue, too, but I guess we’ll see. I have no idea what color chicks to expect from the Olive Egger. Fun times!
F11E233D-A638-41E9-92EF-C977C3B3BCA5.jpeg

I’m no expert by any means. But, I’d honestly expect a little fluctuation in temp with such a large incubator. It’s super nice by the way. A serious investment I’m sure. 👍
Thank you. It is a huge investment for me that so far has been disappointing. i spoke with the builder yesterday. The wafer was causing conflict with the electronic thermostat so he told me to remove it. The temp has stabilized more since I removed it. I’m still looking at the Brinsea OVA Easy and may sell this to someone who loves the brand and understands the mechanics of it after this hatch.

I managed to get her to drink little sips of water that had vitamins and sugar in it. I thought she might make it. I was giving her this mixture every 30 minutes . However, she reached a point where she couldn’t control her neck and kept flipping onto her back - I haven’t seen wry neck before but I’m wondering if she developed that. In any case, 5 minutes after that symptom started, Ivory passed away.
Ivory was an assisted hatch who never thrived and I feel like maybe there was something else wrong with her that prevented her from hatching on her own as I think the pasty butt was a secondary issue and not the reason she was so weak - I’d been helping her for days, showing her over and over again where the water, feed and warmth was. I tried to feed her watery egg yolk yesterday but she refused it.
I still have 11 healthy chicks. My last 2 eggs didn’t hatch. When I candled them (before putting Ivory in the incubator to keep her warm) there was no movement and no visible veins. It’s day 24 so I made the decision they weren’t going to hatch and turned the incubator down to a comfortable heat for Ivory.
So sorry you lost her.🙁
Sounds like you did the best you could.
Congratulations on the 11. 🥰

Chicks unless lavender orpington, may start out silver, then turn a diff color, I think their first baby fuzz may be that color. I have had many black chicks born silver then turn more black, the one below is part LO though...View attachment 2562095
View attachment 2562096

I had one of my Silkies come out silver and then turned white. I really expected him to be dark because of how dark he was when he was wet....and I don't mean his skin color because all Silkies have dark skin. It makes me wonder what he/she is going to look like when he/she feathers out....

I had one of my Silkies come out silver and then turned white. I really expected him to be dark because of how dark he was when he was wet....and I don't mean his skin color because all Silkies have dark skin. It makes me wonder what he/she is going to look like when he/she feathers out....
Congratulations on your babies! 🥰Looks like you got a nice mix of colors. The splash I got from Alabama Silkies started out like that. I had 6. I was convinced they were lavender, but started developing the splash markings over time.😊
WIN_20200528_08_10_11_Pro.jpg
BB23DEAC-E6FB-47C4-BBFC-4C1222885463.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom