March 21 or so hatching

Mine are mutts too. Should be fun. I have bantam & large fowl together, so it's anyone's guess.

It is real amusing having mutts, always keeps you guessing. Out of my four from the last batch, one is the miracle chick that hatched from a big, brown egg I stuck in the bator on a whim. The egg was frozen solid, laid in the dead cold of winter. Chick from that egg is probably my favorite, just gorgeous, too. I can pretty much tell from which breed the egg is by the location it was laid and the size. Silkies and lazy Cochins lay on the ground. Majority of the Cochin ladies will make the effort to go on the first row of nest boxes. Americaunas are fairly self evident, and stick to the first row of boxes. My smaller hens lay on the top row of nest boxes. My Brahmas are in a separate pen with their very own prince charming, a Golden Laced Wyandotte rooster. I am excited for the variety!

Lockdown is this evening. When i got home form work the temp was at 102. I have no idea how long it was that high, no more than two and a half hours since the last time they were turned. Do you think they'll be ok?

Jayzandra, are you using a still air incubator? I actually aim for 102° in my still air incubator (thermometer sits at the top of eggs is measured at 102).

I did my second candling tonight! Tomorrow is day 14, and of the 22 that I have left, I have 22 still going strongly!! Still have one that is questionable, but as of now, it's alive. It's air cell is on the side of the egg.. Not sure how the heck that happened since it wasn't a shipped egg. Must have just been detached to begin with. It seems to happen in my black sex link eggs often.

wee.gif

No, it's got a little fan in it. I made it out of an ice chest, computer fan, liggt bulb and water heater thermostat. It spiked because the humidity dropped. I added water and the temp went right back down to 100.

Lockdown is this evening. When i got home form work the temp was at 102. I have no idea how long it was that high, no more than two and a half hours since the last time they were turned. Do you think they'll be ok?

I'm inclined to think they'll be fine. We'll know for sure in a couple days! So excited!

OMG, lockdown feels like neglect! I keep looking through the window to check on them. I haven't opened the incubator (except to add water to the dish). This waiting is hard. I feel like I should be doing something!
barnie.gif

I'm so afraid not a single one is going to hatch.

Jayzandra, are you using a still air incubator? I actually aim for 102° in my still air incubator (thermometer sits at the top of eggs is measured at 102).

I did my second candling tonight! Tomorrow is day 14, and of the 22 that I have left, I have 22 still going strongly!! Still have one that is questionable, but as of now, it's alive. It's air cell is on the side of the egg.. Not sure how the heck that happened since it wasn't a shipped egg. Must have just been detached to begin with. It seems to happen in my black sex link eggs often.

wee.gif

My black sex link only lays fart eggs. It's so weird. We get a fart egg every day from her. We call her Jelly Bean.

OMG! I hear peeping! Somebody broke into the air cell! I don't know which egg it is. I'm so worried it's going to drown! I know all I can do is wait, but it's so nerve wracking! It's early too. It's almost 2 days early! I hope it's going to be ok!

(This thing needs to have an emoticon that's biting it's nails)

Last edited:
Good so far. Hope is alive and well. I hope all hatch.

Mine went on lockdown tonight.

Back
Top Bottom