March Hatch-Along Thread- Come Hatch With Us!!!!!

This is the first time to hatch eggs in over 50 years for me.
old.gif
I've got 30 eggs coming today/ tomorrow??? They will be hens choice from the following list. Ameraucanas, Barnevelders, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, Black Copper Marans, Blue Marans, Cuckoo Marans, Olive Eggers, Welsummers, Wheaten Marans. Should be due about the 15th of March.
farmhand aka Clifford aka Grandpa
smile.png

Welcome back to the wonderful world of hatching. Very nice assortment of eggs you will have going.

Lets see how this goes.
I received 24 silkie eggs today in the mail from Karen at Catdance Silkies!
She had them packed excellently.
Of course it was a mere -15 this morning when the Post Office called.
The eggs did not seem very cold at all when I ran in and got them, so we shall see.
This is my first attempt at silkies so I wanted some good ones to start with, and Catdance had some great looking birds.
I let them settle all day, and will have the turner shut off for the first two days.
She has the color written on each egg, so now I can watch and wait for each specific bird!
Wooohooo!!!

Jim

PS. I had this posted as a separate thread, so if there is any rules against double posting I can delete the other one. :{

I'm a first time hatcher technically because I was just a kid helping my greatgrandpa & just knew it was fun! I set my duck eggs today so they should hatch march 20th. I have 9 black runner/ with either a Australian spotted or rouen drake, but we think the culprit is the aussie spot. Then I just had 9 pure Australian spotted duck eggs mailed to me that I also set today. The aussie eggs that were shipped got here 3 days late and all but 1 have detached air cells, 2 of which are completely detached. Ive followed the best advice and going to hope for the best! :fl Hope you all wont mind me asking newbie questions!

Lets see how this goes.
I received 24 silkie eggs today in the mail from Karen at Catdance Silkies!
She had them packed excellently.
Of course it was a mere -15 this morning when the Post Office called.
The eggs did not seem very cold at all when I ran in and got them, so we shall see.
This is my first attempt at silkies so I wanted some good ones to start with, and Catdance had some great looking birds.
I let them settle all day, and will have the turner shut off for the first two days.
She has the color written on each egg, so now I can watch and wait for each specific bird!
Wooohooo!!!

Jim

PS. I had this posted as a separate thread, so if there is any rules against double posting I can delete the other one. :{

I've hatched 2 sets of her eggs and they are GORGEOUS chicks!!!

I'm reading conflicting views about letting eggs sit after shipping. My eggs left Texas Tuesday and should arrive today (Friday) in California. In this case only a 6 hour sit or 24 hours?
Thanks for the help!

I'm reading conflicting views about letting eggs sit after shipping. My eggs left Texas Tuesday and should arrive today (Friday) in California. In this case only a 6 hour sit or 24 hours?
Thanks for the help!

I changed my ways of dealing with shipped eggs after reading this article. I now unpack my shipped eggs and let them rest for about 12 hours. I then place them into the incubator and do not turn them for 7 days. This gives the insides more time to get back to normal and also helps the embryo to get stronger so that when you do start to turn after 7 days it has a better chance of making it to full term. Since I started doing it this way my development rate has gone up tremendously.

I changed my ways of dealing with shipped eggs after reading this article. I now unpack my shipped eggs and let them rest for about 12 hours. I then place them into the incubator and do not turn them for 7 days. This gives the insides more time to get back to normal and also helps the embryo to get stronger so that when you do start to turn after 7 days it has a better chance of making it to full term. Since I started doing it this way my development rate has gone up tremendously.

Wow, that was a great article, thanks for sharing! My Serama eggs that are coming today will be shipped. I would like to use the method recommended in the article, however I have no clue how I could get the eggs upright in my incubator. I have a Brinsea Mini Advance. Any suggestions?

Wow, that was a great article, thanks for sharing! My Serama eggs that are coming today will be shipped. I would like to use the method recommended in the article, however I have no clue how I could get the eggs upright in my incubator. I have a Brinsea Mini Advance. Any suggestions?

Why not cut down an egg carton. Make sure to cut the bottoms out of the "cups" to allow for better airflow.

I have used this method on Serama eggs and it works. My avatar is a picture of my little Serama, Peewee. She was hatched this way.

Back
Top Bottom