March hatch along

Hi all, I'm Lola and a newbie :)
I purchased an incubator today ....yay !!! So excited but nervous lol
I have only a little one, a brinsea mini advance. My bantam eggs are being delivered tomorrow :yesss:
So I hope it's ok to join you all for my 1st hatching :) x
Yes! Welcome!!

I'm waiting for my spotlight to charge and I'm gonna try candling through a box with it. I having no luck with the little flashlight I've always used, for some reason. I'm thinking chicken eggs must be a little harder to see into than ducks??

Hi all, I'm Lola and a newbie :)
I purchased an incubator today ....yay !!! So excited but nervous lol
I have only a little one, a brinsea mini advance. My bantam eggs are being delivered tomorrow :yesss:
So I hope it's ok to join you all for my 1st hatching :) x
Hi Lola. Welcome aboard and good luck!

Hello I will be starting my first incubation of the year end of February early march was just wondering if there is anyone out there interested in doing it together we can start on the same day and compare our experience look forward to it:)
we are starting ours also first week in march

Last edited:
fl.gif
Hoping my eggs get here tomorrow because tomorrow night we're supposed to have temperatures in the teens! I don't know how the USPS stores packages overnight but I'm worried about the possibility of the eggs freezing.

I am in the same boat I half heartedly bid on some mixed eggs and ended up winning them but now they are talking about another arctic blast coming through starting tomorrow sometime Grrrr. I wish I could quit bidding on the auctioned eggs lol I have had horrible luck with detached air cells. Does anybody know how you can tell if the eggs are scrambled one of the last batches I received had awful detached air cells I left them with out turning for 4 days and finally started them turning yesterday and I am wondering if some of them might be scrambled.

Hello everyone, thanks for letting me join you all. I'm sure I will drive you nuts with all the questions :D I've read so much info my brain full to bursting ...haha

So, my incy has been out for 24 hrs, temp settled, humidity not sure my brinsea has no thingy to read that. It just has 2 wells. So filled 1 ? ( you can tell this is my 1st go ! )
My eggs have been resting for 23 hrs. Candled them all (12) bantam. 1 egg looked a bit iffy to me, so put that one to one side.

Now, I decided to not use my auto turner ....eek !! So I can do more eggs, with the hope I can at least get 1 fluffy frizzle banty ;)

I've marked a O and X on both sides of the eggs. Set my phone to remind me to turn them 5 times a day. I trusty app I hope !

Do I wash my eggs ?
Turning, is it just turning them from O to X each time ? :)

Do I wash my eggs ?
Turning, is it just turning them from O to X each time ?
smile.png
Lola-
Turning is changing from the O to the X. It's just to make sure you get each one.
As far as washing the eggs go, everybody's split on that. Some people will scold you if you even mention, other people say your incubating bacteria, some people dip them in bleach water. I've incubated probably about 12 times. I've never washed my eggs before, and had dirty ones hatch. This time however, I decided to hold my eggs in warm running tapwater and gently remove the mud and poop. I guess I won't know if I did any harm or not for a while. I'm only on day 3. I hope that it hasn't harmed them. I decided this time I was going to try some different things for myself just to see the difference. So the washing was one of them. The other is that I normally do dry incubation, and only add water at the hatch. This time around I'm wetting a sponge and wringing it back out so that it's just damp, and I do that when I open the bator to turn the eggs. I only turn 3 times a day as that's how I've always done it and it works well for me.
Best of luck to you on your hatch. I'll be looking forward to your updates.

Back
Top Bottom