March hatch along

Wasn't planning on hatching again for a few more weeks, but my neighbor's dogs killed half my flock last Monday. I set 18 mixed eggs that are due to hatch St. Patricks day, March 17.
Hope I get a good hatch. She is arguing with me about the value of the 11 birds that were killed. I wanted to order POL from Myer Hatchery but they won't be available to May. Guess my egg business will be out of operation for some time. Wish me luck. I'm hoping the storm we have coming in doesn't cause a power failure. I might have to sit on these eggs myself lol!!!

Wasn't planning on hatching again for a few more weeks, but my neighbor's dogs killed half my flock last Monday. I set 18 mixed eggs that are due to hatch St. Patricks day, March 17.
Hope I get a good hatch. She is arguing with me about the value of the 11 birds that were killed. I wanted to order POL from Myer Hatchery but they won't be available to May. Guess my egg business will be out of operation for some time. Wish me luck. I'm hoping the storm we have coming in doesn't cause a power failure. I might have to sit on these eggs myself lol!!!
Welcome aboard!!! Good luck and so sorry to hear about your birds.

Everything good in my corner today (day 7).. No new Brahmas developing but the two that I found yesterday have really gone to town growing. I think those will end up being my only two but I don't want to toss any until maybe Tuesday.

Temp was so great this AM that I skipped turning; i hate to leave the house so soon after messing the temp up so I just waited til I got home.

I know this is a terrible pic, but I've found a way to cheat on my dark Marans eggs. I take a pic and then change the finish, lol. Here's a peek inside the lightest one. On the darkest one even this doesn't work.

Anyway. WHat is everyone's expected (approximate lol) hatch date? Mine is March 14.
What a legendarily cool idea!!! I will be attempting that on my marans I think. I normally just look to see if the air cell is growing, and if the egg feels like it has a chick in it (I typically notice the eggs feel more like they have a mass in them around day 10 or so) I just leave them and hope for the best.

9 look like this ^^^

2 look like this ^^^

Is that good for day 5 ? X
I think the nine look good. At first I was worried about it, but when you click the pic and enlarge it I think it looks pretty good. I've never candled with a real candler... I've always used flashlights. Those pics make me want one. LOL
Looks like your on the way!

Everything good in my corner today (day 7).. No new Brahmas developing but the two that I found yesterday have really gone to town growing. I think those will end up being my only two but I don't want to toss any until maybe Tuesday.

Temp was so great this AM that I skipped turning; i hate to leave the house so soon after messing the temp up so I just waited til I got home.

I know this is a terrible pic, but I've found a way to cheat on my dark Marans eggs. I take a pic and then change the finish, lol. Here's a peek inside the lightest one. On the darkest one even this doesn't work.

Anyway. WHat is everyone's expected (approximate lol) hatch date? Mine is March 14.
Mine were due to hatch March 7th. Hopefully I'll get to set some more on the 13th, for an April 2nd hatch.

I set 32 eggs on Feb 23rd. I only candle once on day 11 (or 10 if I won't be off on day 11), so they are due on March 16th. These are all NN and all my girls eggs.

What a legendarily cool idea!!! I will be attempting that on my marans I think. I normally just look to see if the air cell is growing, and if the egg feels like it has a chick in it (I typically notice the eggs feel more like they have a mass in them around day 10 or so) I just leave them and hope for the best.

I think the nine look good. At first I was worried about it, but when you click the pic and enlarge it I think it looks pretty good. I've never candled with a real candler... I've always used flashlights. Those pics make me want one. LOL
Looks like your on the way!

Thank you for taking the time to look ;) I'm really excited, just hoping I can get them to hatch day !
The candler came with my incy as a package x

Hello , so sorry to hear of your birds, very sad. Best of luck x

It looks like my eggs shipment is going to be earlier than expected. If the weather doesn't slow the shipment down they should be here Tuesday, so I'll set them Wednesday or Thursday with a hatch date of the 26th. Needless to say after the epic fail with the test batch I'm a little nervous.

Sorry to hear about your flock rrrmamma. It's funny how when it's not theirs, stuff has no value. I hope you have a great hatch.

It looks like my eggs shipment is going to be earlier than expected. If the weather doesn't slow the shipment down they should be here Tuesday, so I'll set them Wednesday or Thursday with a hatch date of the 26th. Needless to say after the epic fail with the test batch I'm a little nervous.
Thats exciting! As for the "epic" fail .... Things happen when hatching eggs, I've had spectacular hatches (95-100%) and total failures. You just dont know how it will turn out... That 's why they say "dont count your chickens....." Anyway, hang in there and keep those fingers crossed. We are pulling for a great hatch this time around!

Back
Top Bottom