Marek’s disease or injury? Please help

Very, very likely Marek's.. giving it to you straight. Her flock was going to eliminate the weakest link. :hmm

Many birds can get Marek's and recover seemingly. This type of limping is NOT caused by hawk attacks. Do you feel any heat or swelling in the leg that indicates an injury? Did the re-homer disclose the bird was unable to walk? How long have you had her? She doesn't really look "bullied" to me, to any point that it would be important.. but do you know what the other home was feeding including treats and supplements? I don't truly believe it's a nutrient deficit.. but anything is possible and that's the first go to for folks who are hopeful it might be something else than disease.

Do you have birds of your own?

Check below her vent and on her abdomen for angry red skin, any dirt clumps stuck to the base of feathers, etc.. looking for parasites.. doing so in the dark with a flash light can give the clearest picture.

Is her vent clear of droppings.. Is she able to stay clean? Some folks will try a sling, depending on how well the bird tolerates it..
View attachment 2384275
View attachment 2384277
Are you willing to care for a special needs bird long term if she doesn't recover? Will you be sending her in for necropsy to confirm or rule out Marek's.. I have links to help. Sorry you face this. Hope she improves! :fl

ETA: After seeing the video that posted, and considering other factors.. it's *possible* it could be neurological damage from the bullying.. I never experienced personally despite having a huge mixed flock with Silkies.. but things do happen sometimes.
She seems to have red swollen spots and little white worms burrowing in her skin along with a sore on the leg that stay forward im so lost I’m not sure what to do and I had her in with my flock overnight in a small animal cage inside their coop and I’m in tears just thinking about her infecting my flock with something while she was with them despite being in the small animals cage it was still in their coop

She seems to have red swollen spots and little white worms burrowing in her skin along with a sore on the leg that stay forward im so lost I’m not sure what to do and I had her in with my flock overnight in a small animal cage inside their coop and I’m in tears just thinking about her infecting my flock with something while she was with them despite being in the small animals cage it was still in their coop

Attachments

• 4F5FCEA1-6D75-4C51-B290-195157190BE5.jpeg
    4F5FCEA1-6D75-4C51-B290-195157190BE5.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 7
She seems to have red swollen spots and little white worms burrowing in her skin along with a sore on the leg that stay forward
That sounds and looks POSSIBLY parasitic.. which could cause a whole host of issues with anemia and such.. but not mentioned by the vet SO maybe a new-ish development??

Can you pluck the worm thing and see if it's a maggot invading a wound form the outside?

I sense and feel your frustration.. well intention-ed chicken friend! :hugs

Some suggestions.. decide what you think is best.. I'm just brain storming what I MIGHT do..

Warm espom salt soak followed by a blow dry.. get everything cleaned up.. One friend uses vinegar and dish soap bath to fight lice/mites. It breaks down cell wall structures and suffocates/dries them out etc.

A permethrin based "horse fly" spray.. is very effective at treating most external/topical/surface parasites.. such as lice and northern fowl mite. No egg withdrawal required.

Ivermectin.. will treat scaly leg mite (microscopic only evidence is raised CRUSTY scales), also depluming feather mites (uncommon), and lice. Does NOT treat fleas. Egg withdrawal required. Treats SOME worms.

My eyes aren't that good and I can't identify exactly what you're seeing.

Alternatively.. Some worming medications might work against this issue but I zero experience in that department.

The things you should be worried about your flock being infected with are microscopic viruses.. external parasites.. are easily remedied. What you can see is the least of worries, unfortunately. :(

:fl

Can you point to the little white worms?
I'm sorry I'm not seeing them. She may have some infected feather follicles - is that what you see?
Is that photo on her leg?
You may need to pluck some of those feathers. Swab the skin with chlorhexidine or betadine, then take sterilized tweezers and/or a needle and pull out those follicles. Once you get them out, then swab again with your antiseptic, then apply a little triple anitibiotic ointment. Check that area frequently.
She's got a lot of scabs/loose skin around the feather follicles too - does she preen or dust bath?! You may need to work some of that mess out of her feathers too.

I'm not sure if that's going to fix her problems - she may have Marek's disease which is causing the enlarged and follicles - this is would be Cutaneous form of Marek's.

Could also be she was injured and these were damaged and got infected/impacted - lots of different things can cause this.

1603561874444.png

Can you point to the little white worms?
I'm sorry I'm not seeing them. She may have some infected feather follicles - is that what you see?
Is that photo on her leg?
You may need to pluck some of those feathers. Swab the skin with chlorhexidine or betadine, then take sterilized tweezers and/or a needle and pull out those follicles. Once you get them out, then swab again with your antiseptic, then apply a little triple anitibiotic ointment. Check that area frequently.
She's got a lot of scabs/loose skin around the feather follicles too - does she preen or dust bath?! You may need to work some of that mess out of her feathers too.

I'm not sure if that's going to fix her problems - she may have Marek's disease which is causing the enlarged and follicles - this is would be Cutaneous form of Marek's.

Could also be she was injured and these were damaged and got infected/impacted - lots of different things can cause this.

View attachment 2385498
I don’t think there were any worms in the picture but they were inside those holes while I was drying her with the hair dryer she does have a poopy butt and the picture was on her stomach I got a picture of one of the worms near her vent on one of her feathers

Attachments

• F8714E01-EECC-45BD-9EF7-9402979EA5EB.jpeg
    F8714E01-EECC-45BD-9EF7-9402979EA5EB.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 5
I don’t think there were any worms in the picture but they were inside those holes while I was drying her with the hair dryer she does have a poopy butt and the picture was on her stomach I got a picture of one of the worms near her vent on one of her feathers
That is a maggot.
Does she have a wound under her feathers around the vent?
The maggots need to be gotten rid of.
Resoak her if you need to, pick off all the maggots, find the source - maggots will damage tissue and make her really sick.

That is a maggot.
Does she have a wound under her feathers around the vent?
The maggots need to be gotten rid of.
Resoak her if you need to, pick off all the maggots, find the source - maggots will damage tissue and make her really sick.
I don’t see any places under or around her vent but she does seem to have the holes in the first picture not sure if it’s from the other peoples chickens pecking her she had a sore on her leg but it’s mostly healed now

I don’t see any places under or around her vent but she does seem to have the holes in the first picture not sure if it’s from the other peoples chickens pecking her she had a sore on her leg but it’s mostly healed now
I would go over her very carefully looking for more maggots. They may actually be in those holes where feather follicles should be, I just don't know...
If she was really poopy, they may have just been on the poop, you really need to check her very well.

Back
Top Bottom