The way it was with my flock when I added vaccinated birds was that heck, it couldn't get any worse than it was. I was loosing 1, sometimes 2 birds a week from some truly terrible tumors caused by Marek's. My Welsummers and roosters were all hit really hard.

The weird thing is that I was able to talk to the head veterinary pathologist at Columbia School of Veterinary Medicine in Columbia MO when I came to suspect that I had MD in my flock and he told me that the birds that didn't die from the disease, that lived to 3-4 years without succumbing, would be my resistant birds and I needed to breed them for resistant chicks. It didn't work that way with my flock. I don't know how many chicks I hatched from my 'survivors'-25+? All but two died from various tumors, wasting and infections.

I suspect the weak link in the chain was my roosters, who didn't live past the age of 2. My Bantam/Amish barnyard crosses are 4 years old now (and bears the proud name of 'Old Man'), the oldest, that is. I also have 7 Silver Duck Wing OEGBs that I bought from Orschelns (the chick tub beckoned to me and I answered it's siren's call). They are working on their second generation and so far so good.

Maybe the theory that vaccinated birds as well as survivors do pass on a degree of immunity to their offspring. But if that is true, then why didn't my second generation Buff O's and Welly's survive? I'll probably never know.

Marek's is a complex disease and indiscriminate killer of both chickens and chicken owners' dreams. I had hoped to breed exotic chickens. Now I'm happy with my barnyard crosses and the fresh eggs and smiles they give me.
Thank you for sharing your experiences! It’s truly fascinating to read, although I’m sorry for all your losses. 😭😭

Maybe certain breeds are just more susceptible??? Both ones that have gotten sick so far have been Welsummers.

Silkies, Buff Os, Welsummers are very high on the susceptibility scale with Silkies being the #1 bird on the list.

I keep telling myself, if only I had known but then hindsight is always 20/20.
That’s good to know but definitely sad! I wonder if this extends to other Orpingtons too or just Buff Os? Cause that means Jack is probably very susceptible too if it’s all Orpingtons. :(

Not sure, Kelsey. You would have to do a google search for chicken breeds most susceptible to Marek's and go from there. I would think that it would be all Orpingtons though, genetically speaking.

I had to turn down an offer of free Bantam Silkies recently. 1) my OEGBs would beat the dirt out of them and 2) that Marek's thing. I wouldn't eve trust vaccinated Silkies to stay on this property and be safe from that even if I could keep them safe from the OEGBs.

Not sure, Kelsey. You would have to do a google search for chicken breeds most susceptible to Marek's and go from there. I would think that it would be all Orpingtons though, genetically speaking.

I had to turn down an offer of free Bantam Silkies recently. 1) my OEGBs would beat the dirt out of them and 2) that Marek's thing. I wouldn't eve trust vaccinated Silkies to stay on this property and be safe from that even if I could keep them safe from the OEGBs.
Okay thanks, I’ll have to look it up. That’s what I’m thinking too, that it’s probably all Orpingtons.

And that’s sad 😭

Was gonna put Wilma down now but when I held her upside down like I did with Red, it didn’t work! She was flapping her wings like mad and righted herself so now I feel really bad about putting her down because clearly her wings are not paralyzed and she’s got a lot of fight still. :oops:

But she still can’t walk and was in the nest box all morning so far.

So I know I still should do it but GOD! She’s making it way harder than it was with Red. :(

Okay I know this is probably just wishful thinking but is it possible she’s just broody??? Because she just puffed up and also let out a massive smelly broody poop so? :confused:

But I know broodys usually at least can walk when you make them so idk.

But she’s been in the nest box since last night and all day today.

ABAA1F2E-618C-47FD-AEE7-32BC537205F9.jpeg E41FFCC8-1A78-400A-9C65-B571A4E8D78D.jpeg F57E2349-AF36-447C-AEDC-79E10B0740B4.jpeg

Was gonna put Wilma down now but when I held her upside down like I did with Red, it didn’t work! She was flapping her wings like mad and righted herself so now I feel really bad about putting her down because clearly her wings are not paralyzed and she’s got a lot of fight still. :oops:

But she still can’t walk and was in the nest box all morning so far.

So I know I still should do it but GOD! She’s making it way harder than it was with Red. :(

i have no words, only a big hug.. :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom