Marek disease in Los Angeles question

Kevin Bird

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 3, 2015
Today I spoke with our local feed store about picking up more chicks. In the past the chicks came to them from the breeder already vaccinated against Marek. I was told that the breeder now does not suggest that vaccination and the feed store is supporting that suggestion.
We are in Los Angeles county and I wonder if anyone can tell me if the decision not to vaccinate against Marek makes sense based on where we live or should we still push them to vaccinate the chicks or go somewhere else that still does it automatically.
Thanks

Today I spoke with our local feed store about picking up more chicks. In the past the chicks came to them from the breeder already vaccinated against Marek. I was told that the breeder now does not suggest that vaccination and the feed store is supporting that suggestion.
We are in Los Angeles county and I wonder if anyone can tell me if the decision not to vaccinate against Marek makes sense based on where we live or should we still push them to vaccinate the chicks or go somewhere else that still does it automatically.
Thanks
I don't think anywhere does it automatically. Most hatcheries offer it, but with an additional charge and you have to tell them you want it

Thanks
Welcome to Backayrd Chickens peeps have to be a day old to vaccinate no older than that

Welcome to Backayrd Chickens peeps have to be a day old to vaccinate no older than that
Thanks
Thanks
Hello all and thanks for your welcomes and responses.
I think I need to clarify what I was asking a little more.
The breeder and the feed store we have got our chicks from in the past used to vaccinate them before sale to the public, but for some reason that has recently changed.
What I need to know is if there is any validity to the stance that vaccinating against Marek disease is, for some reason, not necessary in the Los Angeles area?

Back
Top Bottom