Mareks/botulism or vitamin B issue?

Bburnie1

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2016
So I found one of my roos on the ground this morning, halfway under the coop wall (made from a recycled pallet). I assumed he got stuck and couldn't get out so when his legs were not working I thought trauma/shock. He is about 8 mos old, no injuries and considering he could have been there all night (which I have confirmed he was- hubby saw 'something' near the area late last night but didn't investigate..grrrr...) I started treating for shock. He was trembling but still lots of energy. That was 8am this morning.

So....marekes or botulism seem to be the only possible fit BUT those don't really fit either....this was sudden onset.

Symptoms:
Legs are functioning, he can kick but cannot right himself. Wings appear fine.
Lays on side, head up, alert
Will take food with a dropper and will peck at the mash to eat
poop normal (thus far) but not much of it
His is silently gasping with each breath- slow and deep. Beak open- shakes head some.

I have also looked at the possibility of cocci- but leg issues aren't listed as a possible symptom.
Also considered gapeworm due to the breathing and head shaking (which is somewhat normal and not surprising at this point. He is in pine shavings so if they get near his face he shakes- which leads me to believe they are simply irritating him...)
Fungus/mold? Possible. It has been warm and I just started watering down the coop floor yesterday to help keep the dust down and keep it cooler.
Feed: normally he gets payback flock but the last couple of day I gave the boys some fermented feed, which is what they ate exclusively when breeding.
No other roos are showing such symptoms.

Treatments: Isolation, nutri drench with a dropper, now added Rooster Booster liquid vit B and electrolytes/probiotics. Stopped nutri drench due to the added Rooster Booster. Mash is chick feed (non med) with some of the liquid vits.

Any ideas? Anything I am missing? I don't want to cull if its something like a vit deficiency. But how often do those really occur and while botulism is possible it seems like a far stretch. Mareks- still doesn't fit. There have been zero symptoms and he isn't progressing and it is the only symptom.

I am at a loss...anyone have something similar and what did you do? Did the bird make it? I don't want to keep a diseased bird in my flock that could result in risk to the remainder of my birds but I also don't want to jump the gun and cull too fast.

Thanks!

No clue but wondering if he just needs time from being "stuck" all night? Is he new to pine shavings, that it irritates him? Could be the humidity, you wetting down & heat in the coop. Since he's the only one, my guess would be heat & trauma from being stuck all night. Give him some time & try putting him in a sling with so he can exercise his legs. Others should be peeping in with their ideas....

I would say probably Marek's. Firstly because it is one of the commonest disease of young poultry and so very easy to contract. The respiratory issue together with the inability to coordinate himself and his age, all point towards Marek's. I've had quite a few with it that had sudden onset and then stabilise and then sometimes suddenly and miraculously recover.....in fact I have my doubts that many of those that think they are dealing/have dealt with vitamin deficiency actually have Marek's because they start to treat with vitamins and then see an improvement..... it's not unreasonable to assume the vitamins cured them and conclude it was vitamin deficit, and indeed I do think vitamins help Marek's birds because they support the immune system.
I would rule out botulism because he is eating. Botulism usually makes them sick quickly and progresses quite rapidly.
Have you added any new birds to the flock recently (past few months) or been to poultry shows etc. or had any previous unexplained deaths in the flock?

no new birds no poultry shows....nothing...this morning he is more feisty and was happily eating meal worms with precision. His legs feel cool to the touch and he tried to get up but can't. I am at a loss..... I know Mareks is common but it also is the one thing everyone jumps to when there is any neurological issues, which makes it an end all catch all being there are so many possible symptoms (depending on the type). Mareks often means cull. Sigh.

Agree with "Mareks is common but it also is the one thing everyone jumps to when there is any neurological issues" and rebrascora true to her statement about vitamin deficiency. IF you have Pets with Benefits we will try before cull. IF you have a stock that is you livelyhood culling is the safest remedy.

Back
Top Bottom