Marek's Disease questions and treating w/ homeopathics

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
I just recently had a bird die sent her body to UC Davis to have an autopsy and from what I can tell the final report said Marek's disease. This bird had no outward signs of it. The day she died she came out of the coop w/ the rest of her buddies in the morning ate and what not. Then at about 3:15 in the afternoon I checked on everyone and found her dead in the pen. So my question is do I have to worry about my other birds now having it? No one else is showing symptoms. From the report it looks like she had it on her organs. Below is the complete report.

I know there is someone on here that has treated w/ homeopathic Hypericum for Marek's. So am wondering if I should treat all my birds w/ it even though they are showing no signs/symptoms. The way I read the report she had it on her organs so there were no outward signs of the disease.

California Animal Health & Food Safety
Laboratory System
Date Received:
Referral #:
CAHFS Case #: D1209287
PO Box 1770
Davis, CA 95617
(530) 752-8700
Final
Version 1
This report supersedes all
previous reports for this case
Date Collected:
Case Coordinator: Asli Mete. DVM, PhD
Electronically Signed and Authorized
By: Mete, Asli on 8/30/2012 5:29:49PM
08/24/2012
Email To:
[email protected]
Richman, Kim
Collection Site:
Richman, Kim
San Martin, CA 95046
Specimens Received: 1 Carcass;
Comments: 1 carcass
C a s e C o n t a c t s

S p e c i m e n D e t a i l s
CAHFS Internal ID Silkie Chicken Female
Multiorgan lymphoid infiltrates; Marek's disease
- Peripheral ganglion, kidney, lungs, liver: Multifocal lymphocytic infiltraes; lymphoproliferative disease
- Body as a whole: Very thin condition

L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s
8/30/2012:
All tests are completed now, all infectious agents tested for are negative and the heavy metal and selenium levels are found to
be in the reference range. I am not sure as to the exact cause of the sudden death of this bird, there is no major affected organ
including the brain. However, the microscopic evidence of lymphoid infiltrates in the multiple tissue sections are suggestive of
Marek's disease, a Herpes virus induced disease of young chickens. The Marek 's disease virus is ubiquitous, and clinical
disease presents with the functional loss of the affected organ and sometimes death with no premonitory signs. You may expect
other affected birds in your flock since it is transmitted from the environment .
Feeding your chickens with table food is not a bad option, as long as you have a balanced ration and you don 't overdo with both
commercial feed and other feedstuff which give them more energy than they need causing obesity and associated problems in
adulthood. Uncooked peas would not cause death, however nutritional information suggests to pre -treat them with
soaking/cooking to undo the trypsin-inhibitor affect since this would inhibit protein absorption .

8/27/12:
Lesions were not noted on the gross examination of this juvenile Silkie chicken however the changes observed on
histopathology are suggestive of an acute systemic infection. Bacterial cultures have not yielded a significant agent and there is
no evidence of bacteria on microscopy. IBD virus (infectious bursal disease virus) and Avian influenza virus are tested at this
time, an updated report will follow as the tests are completed. A heavy metal and selenium screen are also underway to rule out
toxicities/deficiencies as a concurrent or underlying cause.

C a s e S u m m a r y
Otherwise healthy Silkie pullet found dead on afternoon of 8/22/12. No clinical signs. Just found dead around 3:15pm. In
the morning appeared perfectly fine when I let them out in the morning. Nutrition included soy free chick starter from
Modesto Milling. Given as a treat to this chicken, as well as all others in pen w/ her on a daily basis in the morning whole
oats, whole barley, whole wheat, milo, BOSS. On this particular day, I also added some uncooked peas as well. That was
the only change that day so not sure if this could have caused death. Housing included access to a large outside run
during the day as well as the house they get locked up at night. Have access to the house for shade when it gets hot.

C l i n i c a l H i s t o r y
Report 4.5-CAHFS Standard Report - 6/7/2012 Page 1 of 3
CAHFS Final Version 1 Accession # D1209287 August 30, 2012
Breeds with this birds, included other Silkies, an Ameraucana’s and Orpingtons. About two days ago, I moved some
younger birds to this pen to give them more room to move around. The younger birds which were four included Orpingtons ,
Rhode Island Red and Old English Game. These younger birds are separated by a fence to the area the dead Silkie was
found in but in same general area. Bedding of house included pine shavings made by Mallard. No vaccines were ever
given. No treatment due to sudden death. Currently to you to lay eggs.

G r o s s O b s e r v a t i o n s
Examined is the carcass of a Silkie chicken in thin body condition with marked autolysis. The pectoral muscles are
markedly atrophied. There is a small amount of slightly green tinged granular mash feed in the crop and in the gizzard .
The intestines have small amounts of liquid contents. The bursa is very prominent. The skull, brain, peripheral nervous
tissues as well as the remainder of the organs are unremarkable.

B a c t e r i o l o g y
Animal/Source Specimen Specimen Type
BACTERIAL AEROBIC CULTURE
Results
D1209287-01 Richman Lung Swab Mixed Coliforms Rare
D1209287-01 Richman Liver Swab No growth after 48 hours
Salmonella PCR and Confirmation Culture

Results
D1209287-01 Richman Feces No salmonella detected
B i o t e c h n o l o g y
Test Specific Comments
Very virulent Infectious Bursal Disease virus - RNA - qRT PCR (Tissue)
The Infectious Bursal Disease virus realtime RT PCR assay is currently in the process of development and field
validation at CAHFS. The results are reported for your information only: assay validation has not yet been
completed so measures of accuracy, repeatability and diagnostic significance are not yet identified. The test
results should be considered supplemental to other diagnostic and epidemiologic findings for this case.
Avian Influenza matrix gene qRT-PCR
Results
D1209287-01 Richman Oropharyngeal Swab Negative
Infectious Bursal Disease Virus qRT PCR - Tissue
Results
D1209287-01 Richman Avian Bursa Tissue Negative
Very virulent Infectious Bursal Disease virus - RNA - qRT PCR (Tissue)
Results
D1209287-01 Richman Avian Bursa Tissue Negative

H i s t o l o g y
Examined are sections of brain, peripheral nerves, skeletal muscle, trachea, heart, lung, liver, kidneys, spleen,
esophagus, crop, proventriculus, ventriculus, small and large intestines, thymic remnants, bursa, adrenal gland and
pancreas (T9). Small numbers of lymphocytes infiltrate a peripheral ganglion. There are small to moderate foci of lymphoid
infiltrates dispersed in the perivascular and periparabronchal regions of the lungs, in the kidney intestitium, and
occasionally around portal tracts of the liver.

T o x i c o l o g y
Report 4.5-CAHFS Standard Report - 6/7/2012 Page 2 of 3
CAHFS Final Version 1 Accession # D1209287 August 30, 2012
Reporting Limit (Rep. Limit): The lowest routinely quantified concentration of an analyte in a sample. The analyte may be
detected, but not quantified, at concentrations below the reporting limit. Sample volumes less than requested might result in
reporting limits that are higher than those listed.
The submitted liver had the listed metals, including selenium, in acceptable concentrations for chickens.

HEAVY METAL SCREEN
D1209287-01 Richman Liver Tissue
Analyte Result Units Rep. Limit Units Ref. Range
Lead Not Detected PPM 1.000 PPM <1.0
Manganese 3.1 PPM 0.040 PPM 2.0-4.0
Iron 430 PPM 0.200 PPM 60-300
Mercury Not Detected PPM 1.000 PPM <1.0
Arsenic Not Detected PPM 1.000 PPM <1.0
Molybdenum 0.80 PPM 0.400 PPM
Zinc 29 PPM 0.100 PPM 25-40
Copper 34 PPM 0.100 PPM 3.0-15.0
Cadmium Not Detected ppm 0.300 ppm <5.0
SELENIUM - TISSUE/OTHER
Results Units
Rep.
Limit
Ref.
Range
D1209287-01 Richman Liver Tissue 0.93 ppm 0.020ppm 0.35-1.0
Report 4.5-CAHFS Standard Report - 6/7/2012 Page 3 of 3

this is from ASHGROVEINN dated jan-23-2010, good luck
Hypericum is a homaeopathic remedy, right? I suppose you have tablets, right? Low potency, E6 or similar, Right? Now, first thing you have to do is to forget all you have ever learnt about conventional medicine, and read this, and do as I say: Homeopathic medicine dont come in strength, the more it is diluted, the stronger effect it has (potency). Take 2 tablets and put in a 250ml GLASSbottle (not plastic) fill nearly full with cold water, and turn the bottle GENTLY a few hundred times, until the tablets have dissolved totally. Some makers tablets take long to dissolve. Be patient. DONT shake the bottle, just turn it. It takes longer, but the medicine keeps its potency that way. Put some (10-20ml, thats all) in a CLEAN syringe or in a teaspoon, put the chick on your lap, and open the beak, and wet its mouth 3-4 times, and do this 6-8 times a day. Use of what you have already mixed in the bottle.
Shake the bottle GENTLY 40 times before use every time. Start now, dont wait until morning, do it again before you go to bed, dont worry about the chick being tired, that just makes it a bit easier. I have to say, I did not know Hypericum cures Mareks, but......I will try and read up on it, and if I think another homeopathic remedy seems better,I will post it straight away otherwise just keep on as I wrote. This is the ONLY way of administrating homeopathics to animals, and if you hit the right remedy, it is unbelieveble what it can do, but it is often the hardest job to find out which remedy to use. I have used homeopathics on racehorses with massive success over the last 20 - 30 years.
You do not find a medicine for the desease, but for the SYMPTOMS. However, if somebody has cured a particular desease with a particular remedy, then it is bound to work again on another chicken, as there is not much difference in chickens brain activity. Same with horses and dogs. It is a LOT harder to find the right remedy to cure people, because we are VERY different. Where did you read about Mareks and Hypericum? With Homeopathic medicine you CANNOT do any damage, and dosage dont matter, whereas with HERBAL medicine you can do a lot of damage if wrongly used.
Let us know how you get on, I must go now, but I will lig on in 2-3-4 hours time, and then a couple of times every day. Good Luck, and DO AS I SAY!

Back
Top Bottom