Marek's? Egg bound? Whats wrong??

abercrokpa

Chirping
Jun 2, 2020
Hello! We recently noticed one of our chickens has been limping and is now having trouble moving. She will try to get up but just seems very uncoordinated on one side then falls back down. She has resorted to shuffling/scooting around. We have isolated her from the other chickens because she has always been picked on and we don't want her spreading something to them. I'm unsure if it's Marek's disease or if she's just seriously egg bound. The chicken is around two years old and was vaccinated for Marek's as a chick and was very healthy until yesterday. If anybody has had an issue similar to this or has any general knowledge that could be helpful it would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks! :)

Welcome To BYC

Have you gathered her up and examined her for injuries of the feet/legs/joints/wings and/or felt inside the vent to feel for an egg?

Is she pooping? Can you please post some photos of the hen and her poop?

We did not see any noticeable injuries on the legs/wings when inspecting her. She is yet to poop since we've relocated her but ill be sure to update you as soon as she does! Thanks so much for helping us and here's a photo..
. IMG_7105.jpeg and here's a link to a video https://youtu.be/lYkcChK3t-0

We did not feel any irregular bumps under her skin when checking her, we've had an egg bound chicken before and we didn't notice any lumps... Her pupils seem normal, but i uploaded a picture and video above so you can see if anything is irregular there. Also, just as an update, she is laying on her side with her legs kind of sticking out.

I would also treat as if she's egg bound, just in case. It does seem odd that she doesn't have much control over her legs.
When did she last lay an egg?

I had one who stopped laying, and about a month later developed paralysis. It broke my heart to put her down as she was still happily eating and drinking as long as you set everything beside her. A home necropsy showed that she had tumours impinging on her sciatic nerve and spine. Hopefully not the case with yours!

Feel inside her vent about 1-2" for an egg.
If she's able to poop, then there's not an egg low enough to be "binding".
When is the last time she laid an egg? Feel her abdomen below the vent between the legs - any bloat or feeling of fluid?

Well if she's vaccinated then it should not be Mareks I would treat for egg binding, if you can afford, take her to the vet, if she isn't egg bound, try googling her symptoms.
I'm sorry, but that is not how the Marek's vaccination works. The Marek's vaccine can help prevent the formation of tumors but does not prevent infection from the virus. Plenty, plenty of folks have birds that exhibit symptoms due to Marek's disease (yes, they have sent birds for testing/diagnostics and had confirmation of disease). It's not uncommon to see birds exhibit symptoms of paralysis, wry neck, etc. even if they have been vaccinated.
To complicate matters - symptoms can come and go - the disease is extremely heartbreaking and frustrating for backyard keepers. There are 4 forms of Marek's disease - Cutaneous (which affects the skin), Neural (which involves the nerves), Ocular (which involves the eyes) and Visceral (which involves the organs). Symptoms from each "form" could also be seen. The only way to know for sure if a bird has Marek's is to send for testing.

Here's an interesting read for everyone to read about Marek's. It can shed some light on how complicated it can be and also highlights conditions that can look like Marek's as well.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Back
Top Bottom