Mareks experience needed. prelim results pg 9

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I am going to be combing the web, but figured I would post this first. I need to know if anyone that has experienced Marek's can give me info. How it presented, prognosis etc. any and all educated answers appreciated. I don't have time for speculation right now. thank you very much in advance

Sem is going to add pics so I changed title

Last edited:
Not really...have to wait till Monday and then have a few calls to make...depending on cost and distance I might take 2 birds if they make it till then...

Marek's has many different faces depending on the type the bird has. It manifests in different ways, but the most common type seen causes leg paralysis around 4-6 months of age. It can also cause changes in the eye, including blindness. It all depends on where the virus attacks and the speed at which the cancer grows. There are pictures on several sites that show a typical paralysed posture in a marek's bird, but they may not get paralysis at all. So it would help if you posted a description of what you are experiencing. Remember that Mareks is a cancer - it does not usually cause a quick death, but there are no hard and fast rules. Prognosis IMO is certain death eventually, although they can hang on for a long time depending on how fast the tumors are growing. If you have a flock and have mareks, it's best to cull immediately because infected birds are shedding the virus like crazy and pose a risk to anything not already exposed. Also, some birds will get exposed and will NOT get the virus - it's not really known why. Some will get the virus and seem healthy, but will become lifetime carriers. This is why I vaccinate - because you can never know if you have adult carriers in your flock or it's just on your property.

Quote:
yeah, the "affected" chicks are isolated far away from my flock. I am going to start vaccinating though, this week, even my adults....I am not culling until I get a bird tested... paid over $1000 for these birds, so I NEED to be sure. If they were just feed store birds I would have already culled. they are in an outbuilding.

Quote:
yeah, the "affected" chicks are isolated far away from my flock. I am going to start vaccinating though, this week, even my adults....I am not culling until I get a bird tested... paid over $1000 for these birds, so I NEED to be sure. If they were just feed store birds I would have already culled. they are in an outbuilding.

OMG....$1000.00?
th.gif
Did they come from an NPIP source? Although I don't think NPIP includes Marek's....??? Have you contacted the person you got them from?
hide.gif

Quote:

OMG....$1000.00?
th.gif
Did they come from an NPIP source? Although I don't think NPIP includes Marek's....??? Have you contacted the person you got them from?
hide.gif

ummm, we did. we are trying to pin down the issue, i.e. cause. I found an avian vet down the street but after they were closed Friday
hmm.png
I had been waiting to hear from the state vet's office first.
so far I have lost 2 tolbunts, 1 silver laced brahma, 2 lav orp(1 still alive but suffers partial paralysis) and one english orp(most recent. may be related but not sure, all others in this group are still fine for now)
yeah, dh was in Afghanistan last year and I lost half my laying flock to coyotes. He got back and wanted me to pick breeds I REALLY wanted. serves me right, of course something would happen
hmm.png
what doesn't make sense is these birds were vaccinated for Marek's
the initial birds I thought had injuries or deficiencies and supplementing didn't do anything...
starts with a limp, then wobbling, then inability to stand, couple of them had legs "split" like the one below.
here is the affected silver laced brahma
head on right side, right leg next to it....left leg goes straight back
11313_imag0144.jpg

Quote:
poop looks normal
hu.gif

yeah, it panics if you pick it up, goes crazy...which is sad because the brahma especially are like lap dogs.
they are 9-10 weeks old
these were vaccinated when I got them.
I am going to wait till I get them tested to speculate. I just need to keep the rest of my birds safe until I figure it out. I have 4 separate brooding areas. 2 outside(separate outbuildings), 2 inside(different floors)and I always wash between....

eta- am glad I quarantine chicks that come in for 6 weeks...and I don't get adults...don't go to swaps etc....*sigh*

Last edited:
Quote:
poop looks normal
hu.gif

yeah, it panics if you pick it up, goes crazy...which is sad because the brahma especially are like lap dogs.
they are 9-10 weeks old
these were vaccinated when I got them.
I am going to wait till I get them tested to speculate. I just need to keep the rest of my birds safe until I figure it out. I have 4 separate brooding areas. 2 outside(separate outbuildings), 2 inside(different floors)and I always wash between....

eta- am glad I quarantine chicks that come in for 6 weeks...and I don't get adults...don't go to swaps etc....*sigh*

Interesting...I'll be watching this thread...makes me nervous...
hmm.png
sounds like you've done everything right....

Did they eat anything weird?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom