Mareks in the flock - but now we’re moving!!

What to do with Mareks flock with upcoming move?

• Move with Mareks and vaccinate all new chicks

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Move with Mareks - don’t vaccinate, but work to develop a Mareks resistant flock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Start over without Mareks

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Start over without Mareks and start vaccinating chicks

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters

davidmpenning

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2019
Michigan
Hello! We’re currently looking for a new home with more land to continue our homesteading adventures. Our current flock was diagnosed with Mareks this summer, and now I’m not entirely sure what to do - keep our flock and move Mareks with us, or start over without Mareks?

We would want to eventually sell hatching eggs and even chicks in the future. I know we could easily sell hatching eggs, but chicks would be a little harder. I know it can be done with Mareks in the flock, as long as chicks are kept completed separated and confined away from the main flock (we would also be fully transparent in the sale and would vaccinate all chicks for extra safety). Still, it seems much easier to start fresh without Mareks.

But from what I’ve read in some places, there might be a benefit to trying to develop Mareks-resistance lines because people are willing to buy those chicks.

Thoughts? What would you do?

I would start over. I see no benefit to taking a disease with me that could infect neighboring flocks. It can spread on the wind. I would also be very careful in taking any equipment with me too.

If you could develop a Marek's resistant line that would take several generations (years). Even then resistant does not mean none would ever catch it and show symptoms.

Agree, start over. I do not think that a back yard flock, or even a hobby farm flock can create a Mareks resistant flock. And how are you going to prove it?

It is hard, but depopulating a sick flock is an effective disease management strategy. And I think your new neighbors, probably hobby farmers like yourself, would be horrified with the idea of you knowingly bringing in the disease.

Mrs K

I would start over. I see no benefit to taking a disease with me that could infect neighboring flocks. It can spread on the wind. I would also be very careful in taking any equipment with me too.

If you could develop a Marek's resistant line that would take several generations (years). Even then resistant does not mean none would ever catch it and show symptoms.
I didn’t even think about how my flock could infect other flocks that are already in the area we will move to. This is exactly why I needed to put this question out there - and your answer seals the deal for me to not take them. Thank you!

Agree, start over. I do not think that a back yard flock, or even a hobby farm flock can create a Mareks resistant flock. And how are you going to prove it?

It is hard, but depopulating a sick flock is an effective disease management strategy. And I think your new neighbors, probably hobby farmers like yourself, would be horrified with the idea of you knowingly bringing in the disease.

Mrs K
Thanks for the response. The reality that I would be bringing a virus with me that could affect and decimate other flocks is really all I need to know - there’s no way I can bring this flock with me. Thanks again for helping me see part of the picture I was missing!

Back
Top Bottom