Mareks or Vitamin or AE or Possible Lime Poisoning??**1/16 Video Update***

I learned something interesting the other day. My nurse friend said her sister got food poisoning, and a day after that, she had no feelings in her legs and couldn't walk. The doc said her nerves were swollen. Which gets me thinking about botulism causing paralysis. Her sister didn't have botulism, just ate some bad food.

As often as chickens eat yucky things, I wonder how many lose their ability to walk if they eat something bad? Then recover at some point?

And today I've added crushed up B-complex to their water and food.
Even if "Happy Foot" doesn't heal up I will have some mighty healthy-pumped-up chickens!!!
yippiechickie.gif

This thread is very educational. I've been to the vet today with a wobbly, not very hungry/thirsty chicken. The vet was leaning toward a vitamin def. (after confirming not egg bound with an xray) as well and gave her a shot of B12 and antibiotics. Interestingly...the water soluable poultry vitamin stuff I got as TSC has NO B vitamins in it. Weird. Why aren't these chickens getting enough of what they need when we are doing everything "right" diet wise?

Met with my daughter's 4H leader/Supreme Chicken Guru today and we have decided to cull the chick.

She has decades of experience and she said it was looking very much like Marek's. She said every chicken is exposed to it
(like we are to the Herpes virus that becomes a cold sore) and some of the chicks it will show up in/some not.
(Remember these were and old fashioned brood hatch AND this is the only one out of 20 showing any issues).
It also popped up exactly at the age mark where Marek's rears its ugly head.

The little fellow was on heavy vitamin therapy for a full week and not much improvement. He was growing - but couldn't support his weight on his shakey legs. The past couples of days, he was choosing to sit in one spot rather than forage about.

I am thankful for all the help you all have given me & for it not being the nightmare of Marek's where the I come to the barn and the
whole flock is dead/half dead/dragging around and close to death!

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom