Mareks positive flock

CoopWitch

Chirping
Jun 18, 2022
Hello! I am waiting on a confirmation of Mareks. My sweet girl started showing general signs of not feeling well last week. After x-rays and labwork it looks like Mareks. We will be euthanizing and sending out to the lab. Devastated is putting it mildly. My chickens have been therapy for me for the past year. Esther is my sweetest girl and I am heartbroken. I can't imagine now just waiting for the rest of my girls to one day be sick. This feels like a nightmare. I have read the articles and posts about Mareks but am curious, those of you with a positive flock, how did you get past the devastating news and how do you manage your flock? Of course, not adding any new chickens. I just feel hopeless and want to tear down my coop at this point.
20230612_182136.jpg

Wow. Sorry about to read this. I haven't had to deal with Mareks but is always on the mind when I see one of my hens having an off day.

Hope you're doing okay!

Hello! I am waiting on a confirmation of Mareks. My sweet girl started showing general signs of not feeling well last week. After x-rays and labwork it looks like Mareks. We will be euthanizing and sending out to the lab. Devastated is putting it mildly. My chickens have been therapy for me for the past year. Esther is my sweetest girl and I am heartbroken. I can't imagine now just waiting for the rest of my girls to one day be sick. This feels like a nightmare. I have read the articles and posts about Mareks but am curious, those of you with a positive flock, how did you get past the devastating news and how do you manage your flock? Of course, not adding any new chickens. I just feel hopeless and want to tear down my coop at this point.
View attachment 3622536
I am thinking the same exact thing!! My vet said my dearest roo, Harold, may have Marek's. How did you get them tested? I'm wondering how I am going to just watch my flock die off. Its heartbreaking.

I did. I actually commented on it.
Actually I did not comment on that one. As sad as I am that I may have a bird with marek's, this nice lady made me feel a little bit better. In two and a half years, I've never had a chicken die unexpectedly (aside from the infrequent hawk flyover) so I feel very fortunate!

View attachment 3622536
Actually I did not comment on that one. As sad as I am that I may have a bird with marek's, this nice lady made me feel a little bit better. In two and a half years, I've never had a chicken die unexpectedly (aside from the infrequent hawk flyover) so I feel very fortunate!
Also dealing with the same thing and it is absolutely heart breaking, especially being in the waiting phase of just wondering who will go next.

Back
Top Bottom