spiritpots

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2018
Afton, Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I have been raising a small flock of chickens for three years and have purchased all of my chickens at 6-8 weeks of age from the same breeder who does not vaccinate for Marek's. Due to the size of my coop I keep my flock at about seven chickens but over the past three years I have had to add new chickens as some have died. To date I have purchased 11 pullets and have lost 5. I had necropsies done on two of them (one from the original group and one from one of the pullets I purchased this past spring) and because of the tumors present the vet felt it was Marek's. One other pullet (also from my recent purchase this past spring) that died in the fall had signs of Marek's but I did not have a necropsy done. I am very confident my existing flock is carrying the virus, so am wondering what I should do when I want to add new chickens to my flock.

As much as I like the breeder, I'm hesitant to get any more birds from her without knowing where the Marek's came from. I live in a wooded rural area with lots of wild birds (turkeys, pheasants, songbirds, etc.) and understand that the virus is widespread so it is possible my chickens picked up the virus on my property. I am wondering then, would be best for me to continue to purchase pullets or chicks from the breeder or if, since I obviously have Marek's in my flock, would it be better to purchase vaccinated chicks from a reputable hatchery? I understand that the vaccine does not prevent the virus, it only prevents the symptoms from appearing. It breaks my heart every time one of my chickens dies and knowing that if they had been vaccinated they would not have suffered the symptoms of Marek's. I truly appreciate any thoughts on what to do when I want to add more chicks to my flock, which is constantly... I must say! Thank you so much!

I hadn’t heard that leghorns were resistant. Fayomi’s yes, but I don’t think it’s 100% resistance, but helpful for sure.

IMO, I wouldn’t get chicks from that breeder anymore, because it sounds like it will just continue with some making it and some eventually getting sick. I think I would consider getting vaccinated chicks from a hatchery and research what vaccine they do - hopefully one with the broadest spectrum of virus variants. Then keep the chicks separate for at least several weeks for the vaccine to fully kick in and during that time checker clothes and all that to reduce spread of dander. It’s not a full guarantee the chicks won’t die from the disease, but imo greatly increases their chances.

I notice that McMurray Hatchery sells 4 week old chicks, and the breed descriptions state that the chicks ARE vaccinated for Mareks. Because they are already 4 weeks old when they are shipped, there would be no worries about them getting Mareks before the vaccine can fully kick in.

I haven't looked for other hatcheries selling started chicks, but there might well be others. Of course it would be important to read the descriptions carefully, to make sure the ones you want are vaccinated for the right disease.

A disadvantage is that older chicks cost more than day-old chicks, and shipping them costs a LOT more. So it's one possible choice, but I have no idea what is the best choice in this case.
Thank you so much @NatJ for this information about McMurray Hatchery. Getting 4-week old chicks sounds like it might be a good option fo me.

Marek's is on your property now, but if you buy older chickens they are more resistant to Marek's. You can also get Marek's- resistant breeds like leghorns or fayoumi.

Back
Top Bottom