Mareks-surviving Rooster with Multiple Problems

Crap Bag

Hatching
Jul 6, 2021
Hi, I'm fairly new to this site, I tried to post on here before and I was kicked off; I really don't know why... (maybe my username lol)
Anyway, me and my family have a very pretty rooster - Isbar/Easter-egger. He recently acquired an eye injury that we suspect is from fighting our other rooster through the fence that separates their pens...
(Describing the eye injury, I'll get to the other problems...) His eye was kind of bloody the first day and closed... He can open it but doesn't want to. The second day, he opened his eye briefly... It had very fine transparent foamy bubbles towards his inner eye corner... Or 'caruncle'. Then he closed his eye again. I think it was the evening of the first day (or second day) I very gently applied Silver Gel* onto his closed eyelid(s). *The brand is Silver Biotics. His eye hasn't gotten any worse, but still not opened.
Then, he has a belly problem...
Yesterday I came out with one of my dirtier shirts and slipped it over the rooster's head. It took a few tries, but eventually he held still so I could take a look at his belly... I've seen glimpses of his bright-red belly for almost a whole year. I looked, and it is BRIGHT red (literally as red as the reddest chicken combs) with wrinkly folds of white skin. It doesn't seem to cause him any extra pain, and it doesn't look like an open wound anywhere on it. No idea what this is, but I will continue researching.
If that wasn't enough, he also has a missing (dew?)claw on his foot where it was smashed away, and he has a severe bumblefoot.
And before all of it, he barely survived Marek's disease and was left a weak leg as a souvenir... He's a real survivor.

This is the first time I've posted about an injured bird on this sight...
So... Any thoughts?🐓

Welcome To BYC

Yes, probably because of your crappy user name which you really should consider changing and maybe your content, who knows...

Poor guy sounds like he needs to be put out of his misery. If you don't want to do that then send us some good clear photos of your rooster, his injuries, housing, feet and tell us what you feed including treats.

If you can't tend to the injuries daily, then culling is your next best option.

Hi, I'm fairly new to this site, I tried to post on here before and I was kicked off; I really don't know why... (maybe my username lol)
Anyway, me and my family have a very pretty rooster - Isbar/Easter-egger. He recently acquired an eye injury that we suspect is from fighting our other rooster through the fence that separates their pens...
(Describing the eye injury, I'll get to the other problems...) His eye was kind of bloody the first day and closed... He can open it but doesn't want to. The second day, he opened his eye briefly... It had very fine transparent foamy bubbles towards his inner eye corner... Or 'caruncle'. Then he closed his eye again. I think it was the evening of the first day (or second day) I very gently applied Silver Gel* onto his closed eyelid(s). *The brand is Silver Biotics. His eye hasn't gotten any worse, but still not opened.
Then, he has a belly problem...
Yesterday I came out with one of my dirtier shirts and slipped it over the rooster's head. It took a few tries, but eventually he held still so I could take a look at his belly... I've seen glimpses of his bright-red belly for almost a whole year. I looked, and it is BRIGHT red (literally as red as the reddest chicken combs) with wrinkly folds of white skin. It doesn't seem to cause him any extra pain, and it doesn't look like an open wound anywhere on it. No idea what this is, but I will continue researching.
If that wasn't enough, he also has a missing (dew?)claw on his foot where it was smashed away, and he has a severe bumblefoot.
And before all of it, he barely survived Marek's disease and was left a weak leg as a souvenir... He's a real survivor.

This is the first time I've posted about an injured bird on this sight...
So... Any thoughts?🐓
welcome to byc, poor guy sounds like he's been through it. to be able to help you try posting some photos, it will help us better understand especially with the crop issue

If you need help treating send me a pm. If you are on fb, I have a chicken health group.

Rinse the eye with saline, then get Terramycin ointment twice a day. Check him for mites, that might be what's causing the redness. Also was he diagnosed with mareks? Other things can cause the same symptoms. I have a positive flock, the oldest is 15.

right now i would work with him, he is fighting to survive, so give him a chance. Send me a pm if you need to. Alot of birds people say cull when its not necessary.

This is Eloise, 15 year old marek survivor, i am of the mind you give them every chance.
AirBrush_20220414172700.jpg

Back
Top Bottom