1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mareks vaccine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by circesfire, Dec 21, 2016.

1. circesfire

circesfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Surprise, Arizona
    Going to get some new chicks today but just found out they were not vaccinated for mareks. My older three chickens all came from hobby breeders who I doubt vaccinated. Would it be best to buy the vaccine and vaccinate the new chickens myself or just leave them be. I have corrid on hand in case cocci rears its ugly head. Anything else I should be prepared for? The chicks will be isolated with proper measures for at least 4-6 weeks

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Unless the chicks would be only a few days old (one day old, preferably) at the time you're able to vaccinate them, I wouldn't recommend vaccinating them for Marek's. Most chicks are exposed to Marek's relatively quickly if it is in the environment (and it is a very common virus), so vaccinating them at a later age is often useless. Your older chickens have probably already been exposed to Marek's, and are hopefully resistant. The new chicks may or may not be resistant to the virus--many are, but not all.

The best thing you can do right now is keep the new chicks warm, quarantined, and well fed and watered. It is great that you already have Corid and are otherwise well-prepared for the chicks.

Good luck with them, and your other chickens!

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Agree with the above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by