Marek's

Hannah1994

Chirping
May 30, 2018
So I have a chicken who has gone lame, he started two days ago with a slight limp which then seem to develop to curled over toes. He is in quarantine, but another hen has started with similar symptoms. I am thinking this is Mareks disease! So do I need to cull the infected ones and then deep clean the sheds? My question is what else can I do, do I just have to wait until it runs its course? Does this sound marek's disease?

I would not cull them at this point. If they were exposed to Mareks, then all may have been exposed at the same time. Have you added any new birds in the last weeks or months? How old are the birds who are showing symptoms? Could they have hurt the legs jumping off a roost or fence? Sprains are possible. How old are they?
You might start some vitamin B complex, or some poultry vitamin with riboflavin (not nutriDrench.)
Can you see any swelling or bruising of the leg or joints, or any scabs on the bottom of the foot pads?

Eggcessive was exactly right with his/hers questions. I would sepeate them but wait just a little before culling. I have seen this behavior on all 5 of my girls that died from mareks. Generally mareks is brought in from another bird (domestic or wild) or people who have mareks in their flock and come to your house wearing "chicken shoes". If it's mareks you will generally see this happening around 4-7 months. Generally after they go lame they STOP EATING (that's the key) and the end is near. To be really sure we had 2 of our birds "a state-ordered autopsy" necropsy. Our state alabama charges $10.00 plus the postage there to be delivered in one day. Also some labs will ask for blood from the live chicken, the federal government has these labs both college related & private all over the country. If you had your chickens vaccinated for mareks when they were chicks -generally I would say this is not Mareks. There lots of other diseases where they end up going lame, etc. Usually at this point if there is no brake/really bad sprain and they are still EATING they have a chance. Because it's probably not mareks. We have a vet who has 4 techs working for him and one specializes in chickens /Pigs. We had one of our x-rayed to be sure. The tech told us that he was sure there was no break but for the extra 35.00 we could be certain. A break is very evident you can see it (most of the time). If it is a sprain keep the chicken confined and laying down. Be sure there is lots of food/water. Our girl was confined for 4 days the doctor suggested 10 days. And she started to hobble then limp and now walks pretty good just not real fast. Also BUMBBLE FOOT can cause the same effect they don't want to walk or eventually stand up. Look at the bottom of her foot does she have any dark spots on the soles of her feet? Refer to youtube for treatment and what they look like. I hope this has been of some help. It's really hard to loose one of the girls especially after you have raised them from eggs, you have alot of emotional investment and seeing them sick and/or dying really tears you up.

So I have a chicken who has gone lame, he started two days ago with a slight limp which then seem to develop to curled over toes. He is in quarantine, but another hen has started with similar symptoms. I am thinking this is Mareks disease! So do I need to cull the infected ones and then deep clean the sheds? My question is what else can I do, do I just have to wait until it runs its course? Does this sound marek's disease?
At this point I feel I have to get up on my soapbox ! Please get your chicks vaccinated for Mareks. You can do it, you don't have to take them to the vets. As long as you do it within the first 48 hrs after birth. (when you talk to other people they tell you first 24) they say this but really it's the first 48 BUT here's the catch you can't expose them to any other chickens/coop/ and other place chicken/chicks would be until you give them the vaccine which you can buy on line. If you do your chickens will not die from mareks or complications of mareks. Mareks is like AIDS you don't die from aids but from the complications of other diseases in your body. We have had 5 chickens die all 5 died from different diseases that associated with mareks. SO PLEASE HAVE YOUR BIRDS VACCINATED.
What is Marek's Disease? Marek’s disease is a very common disease that may affect your chickens. It spreads quickly through a flock, affecting young birds between the ages of 8 and 20 weeks of age. If you raise chickens, it is vital to understand the signs of this virulent disease so that you can take action against it. There is no cure, with prevention being the most important course of action to take. The disease occurs most commonly as the nervous form, with progressive paralysis in one or both limbs, and sometimes showing in the neck or wings as one of the main symptoms. Marek’s disease is highly contagious amongst chicken flocks and is caused by the herpesvirus. There is no cure and it brings a high mortality rate.

Symptoms of Marek's Disease in Birds Vision impairment, with a change in the eye colour showing a grey iris or irregular pupil
Skin change in texture around the feather follicles, often appearing raised and bumpy
Lameness and leg weakness without any visible signs of swelling or heat within the limb
Partial or progressive paralysis of the limbs is a typical symptom of Marek’s disease The paralysis can also affect your chicken’s neck or wings causing your bird distress Loss of weight due to the inability to reach the water and their feed
Difficulty in breathing
Diarrhea

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/mareks-disease

At this point I feel I have to get up on my soapbox ! Please get your chicks vaccinated for Mareks. You can do it, you don't have to take them to the vets. As long as you do it within the first 48 hrs after birth. (when you talk to other people they tell you first 24) they say this but really it's the first 48 BUT here's the catch you can't expose them to any other chickens/coop/ and other place chicken/chicks would be until you give them the vaccine which you can buy on line. If you do your chickens will not die from mareks or complications of mareks. Mareks is like AIDS you don't die from aids but from the complications of other diseases in your body. We have had 5 chickens die all 5 died from different diseases that associated with mareks. SO PLEASE HAVE YOUR BIRDS VACCINATED.
What is Marek's Disease? Marek’s disease is a very common disease that may affect your chickens. It spreads quickly through a flock, affecting young birds between the ages of 8 and 20 weeks of age. If you raise chickens, it is vital to understand the signs of this virulent disease so that you can take action against it. There is no cure, with prevention being the most important course of action to take. The disease occurs most commonly as the nervous form, with progressive paralysis in one or both limbs, and sometimes showing in the neck or wings as one of the main symptoms. Marek’s disease is highly contagious amongst chicken flocks and is caused by the herpesvirus. There is no cure and it brings a high mortality rate.

Symptoms of Marek's Disease in Birds Vision impairment, with a change in the eye colour showing a grey iris or irregular pupil
Skin change in texture around the feather follicles, often appearing raised and bumpy
Lameness and leg weakness without any visible signs of swelling or heat within the limb
Partial or progressive paralysis of the limbs is a typical symptom of Marek’s disease The paralysis can also affect your chicken’s neck or wings causing your bird distress Loss of weight due to the inability to reach the water and their feed
Difficulty in breathing
Diarrhea
ONE WAY TO POSSIBLY KEEP AWAY FROM MAREKS IS A CLOSED COOP. YOU RAISE YOUR OWN CHICKS/CHICKENS , YOU KEEP WILD BIRDS AWAY FROM THEM AND DON'T ALLOW ANYONE IN YOUR COOP BUT YOURSELF. PLUS YOU DO NOT GO TO ANYONE ELSE'S COOP. YOU KEEP THE COOP "CLEAN" . I HAVE HEARD FROM SEVERAL PEOPLE THAT USE THIS TECHNIQUE AND DO NOT CONTRACT MAREKS.
HOWEVER TO HAVE TO START WITH A CLEAN ROOSTER & HEN AND NEVER BRING IN OUTSIDERS. doesn't sound like much fun to me, my neighbors love sing the chicks when we have them and love our eggs.

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/mareks-disease

Medicating and vaccinating all the time promotes weak flocks. Plain and simple. Culling may not be easy though especially when the chickens are most likely pets.
Short term pain for long term gain.

Back
Top Bottom